Panel Design: Panduit Panelmax

Good day everyone. I was musing about in some E-Plan videos, and saw that they were using panduit panelmax. I guess if you were in a pinch for panel space it could be good?

http://www.panduit.com/ccurl/120/778/panelmax-din-rail-duct-wdcb29,0.pdf

I was speaking with one of my colleagues, and besides the increased depth of the panel, it could lend itself to frustration in troubleshooting for maintenance or cause issues with having to bend the wires straight down right after the component.

I searched the site and there have only been two forum mentions, one from 2004 & from 2009. There has got to be a few of you who have used it since then.

Has anyone used this stuff before and if so, what has your experience been?
Thanks.

its really expensive is all i got. I could see using it if space was a premium.

This.

Nice design, but I've never used it apart from a retro-fit where we wanted to use an existing cabinet. The cost of a slightly bigger panel isn't an issue for us, but I know we get really good pricing on our enclosures.

I asked our distributor for a sample of it. I received the largest one they offer to try it and see if I like it. It seems like a good idea, but I have not yet been able to design it into any of my projects. It would be good for small relay boxes, but it is not large enough (in my opinion) for setting a controller on. The covers on the top and bottom edges are not the easiest to use, either. It is a nice idea, but I don't see myself even using the sample that was sent to me (and that was free!).

I agree with the others. It is a solution for a VERY specific problem. I used this on one design and it was not the right application. You really need to give yourself room to work with the covers or you will have a hard time.

Keith

We use it...off and on, depending on panel size.
It does save space..
It is a love/hate relationship.
However the larger panelmax duct is easier to work with
There could be a few more choices on sizing.
Yes..it is a small issue with the wires turning down so fast, but it is easier than if the duct is too close to the terminal strip as on legacy systems.
If you have a long terminal strip...the duct is a little crowded where the wires come in.

I even use it for mounting miniature circuit breakers, not just terminals..

A bit off top.

I used to work with a German-built machine that had wire ducts I liked a lot but could never figure out the manufacturer. The shape of the fingers was such that it was easy to remove a cover yet they held the covers well. They were more round than a typical Panduit wedge shape that hold a cover in place but removing it is a pain...

And they also had nice C-shaped wire retainers inside!

Oh yea...do not forget to to get the wire retainers for the panelmax, or actually any panduit duct. They make it way easier to keep the wire where it belongs..

Personally it looks neat but the applications are limited (pretty much only good for mounting terminals on top) and it's really expensive. I've never run into a situation where I was that tight on space and could justify the cost.

Our panels are too small. They are always too small, and the question I constantly get from designers and management is "CaN wE mAkE tHe EnClOsUrE sMalLeR?". I will definitely be looking into products like this.

I've used it on several projects in the last few years. In both cases, I had panel footprints that I just wasn't allowed to exceed (width and height). I could, however make the cabinets deeper, and the PanelMax duct was a pretty perfect solution.

The larger stuff has no issue with mounting just about anything to it. I've attached smaller PLCs, DIN rail -mount circuit breakers, and even a small rotary disconnect (because... reasons; it had to be INSIDE the cabinet). Just make sure to use plenty of screws when attaching the DIN rail - every 6" or so, and screw it to the subpanel every 6" or so too.

Panduit's claim of a 30% reduction in subpanel real estate is pretty spot on, in my experience. I'll echo the others in this thread - get the wire retainers. They absolutely make all the difference.

Using the PanelMax duct was the difference between getting everything I needed into a standard-sized stainless steel enclosure or not. It was an outdoor project, and being able to cram everything into a stock sized enclosure saved me from the additional eye-watering cost of a custom stainless enclosure; that stock 316SS enclosure was already enough $$.

Another project was a custom lighting panel for a Broadway production. Those production electricians can be a fussy, old-school bunch, and even they liked the panel.

It is expensive, but it has its place. Use it if you need to.

-rpoet