Ethernet Vs Industrial Ethernet Difference

Where in South India

Where are you in South India?
I have recently completed Citect SCADA system with two
S7-400 PLC's in Pondicherry. Later this year may be doing
another near *******. Personally I recommend for Siemens
PLC's using Profibus rather than Ethernet.
I don't think I can give you a better answer to your question
other than Industrial Ethernet is a more restricted form.
Regards............John Gaunt
Tasmania, Australia

Hello chauhanrasikendra;

Ethernet refers to a communications standard that covers physical layer and data layer (TCP/IP, UDP and other protocols).
Industrial ethernet (Siemens), Ethernet-IP (OVDA and Rockwell), Modbus-over-TCP (Schneider-Modicon) are proprietary data exchange formats (ISO layer 7) that use Ethernet to transport data from one controller to another.

An analogy: We can reach each other by phone (--> Ethernet, physical communication standard); But if you are speaking Hindi (Industrial Ethernet) and i am speaking French (Ethernet-IP) we can only hear each other, not communicate sensible data.

If you require more advanced technical data, please make your question more precise.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

The biggest difference is in the length of the message: with Ethernet the minimal message length is 64 bytes, which is way too much for scanning/controlling a few sensors and/or actuators. Industrial Ethernet can do with much shorter messages, however right now I seem not to find how much shorter exactly.

Kind regards,

I think that some of the newer adaptions of ethernet can use a shorter packet size to each unit on the network as they combine messages for multiple destinations into the one packet. The packet is still the same size, it just gets accepted by all the destinations and the destination has to then sort out what part of the message is for it. All the common industrial ethernets are still limited to the same minimum size as ethernet because it is just another protocol wrapped in the ethernet packet. Regards Alan