Driver selection for AB SLC 500 5/05 Controller

klmfdc

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to communicate with this controller. I replaced it, and need to program it. The Ethernet LED is lit.
I have RS Logix500, RS Linx and RS Enterprise. The program says COM:0 Port 7 is in conflict and another driver is in error.
I hope I'm explaining this correctly.
Thanks

What operating system do you have i.e. win7,10 etc. the 505 also has an Ethernet port have you tried connecting with that, some years since I used AB so cannot remember how to select the driver.

Do you have a 1747-CP3 or Null modem/cross over cable? if yes you can download via the DB9 port, if not you will need to get the IP address in the PLC via flash or Bootp using the Ethernet port

The serial port on a SLC can be changed from RS-232 (DF-1) to DH-485 (UIC needed) if it has a HMI that requires it. I have found systems that didn't have a HMI set to this just because the programmer did. It can also be set to ASCII that can not be used to program through.

If you plug a CAT5 cable directly from the PC to the 5/05 it has to be a cross-over cable or run through a switch that automatically crosses over signals as needed.

Newer 5/05's can be seen using the ETHIP driver that searches and finds anything it can. Older ones had to use the ETH driver that you had to program in the IP address.

Plus in Network Adapter Settings in the properties of your Ethernet adapter you have to set the PC IP address in the same family as the PLC.

Since you have replaced the controller, the new one is either in out-of-the-box condition and needs to have an IP address assigned, or it has an unknown IP address.

You can generally connect to it over Ethernet, or via the serial port, whose settings ought to be at the default 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, CRC error checking, and DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

You do need some basic Ethernet and TCP/IP networking experience to set up these controllers. No great IT skills, but the basics to understand cables and switches and IP addresses.

The "ETH" LED on the controller will be solid green if it has an IP address and is connected to a switch. If it is set for DHCP or BOOTP, it will make two quick blinks every 30 seconds or so when it transmits a DHCP/BOOTP request.

Because yours is a Series C FRN10+, it supports the modern "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic, which automatically browses the local IP subnet of the network adapter you configure it to use.

When I get one of these controllers out of the box, I connect it to a small dedicated network where my PC is set for 192.168.1.x and run the Rockwell BOOTP/DHCP Server Utility, and browse with RSLinx Classic to see if a commonly-configured address shows up.

There are more sophisticated ways to learn the IP address (do you know how to use Wireshark ?), or we can walk you through the COM port settings of your serial port and the simple null-modem serial connection.

Last edited: