Convert Studio5000 to Logix5000

ThomasGruetter

Lifetime Supporting Member
Customer has a program running in a 1769-L19ER-BB1B FW ver. 30 controller and bought a used machine with a 1769-L23E-QBFC1.
Can we convert the ver. 30 program to ver. 19 FW. The older CompactLogix has all the hardware we need but need to know the complexity of converting to this FW (Logix5000).

Because of the unique embedded I/O of the L23, and going between Studio and RSL is a hassle (you have to play around with the ASCII version of the original), I find it easier to open both projects side by side and export/import or copy/paste chunks over checking as I go. And I would use firmware that works with v20.05 RSL5K.

There are several things that could prevent conversion. There are many features and modules that have been added since version 19. Using any of those could prevent conversion from being successful. But it doesn't hurt to try.

There are two things you will definitely need to change in the L5K file. First, on Line 12 you will need to change IE_VER to version 2.10.

Second, you will need to search for CHILD_PROGRAMS and END_CHILD_PROGRAMS and delete them. These were introduced in version 24 when "Program tags" were changed to "Local tags".

OG

V32 to V23 conversion

What about brute force :
- Open V30 and V20.04 at the same time. Two monitors if possible.
- Create new ACD program on V20. use the same name if you want.
- create tasks on V20 based from what you see on V30. use the same names
- create programs the same way with the same names.
- copy routines from V 30 to V 20, use copy and paste
- copy all tags from V30 to V20, use copy and paste
- take into account that L23 has I/O of its own, remember that L23 only accepts up to 4 modules.
- convert(change) alias addressing to new program taking into account L23 features.
- Check everything thoroughly. It´ll take some time.
- Attach you will find a conversion that I tried today . See attached figure
- My example is based on V32, on V30 should be almost the same.

V32_to_V20_Conversion.png

Last edited:
Thank you all. The 1769-L19 program is quite complex for my skill level. I will prefer to use the same hardware versus spending lots of time to convert. Just wanted to ensure myself that there's not an easy method I didn't know about and I want to be frank with the customer. Really appreciate the input!