You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old October 20th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #16
jraef
United States

Be a little carful here. it's not just that you want 12VDC, you also need to pay attention to temperature and vibration specifications when using controllers on a vehicle. Many of the low cost micro PLCs will not do well with that. The Teco SG2 for example is only rated 70C (158F) storage, many of the others are far less, but vehicles in the sun can reach much higher air temps. You don't likely need to worry about the operating temperature that much, because if it is operating you will have some form of climate control. The problem is with damaging the controller when the vehicle is parked in the sun. When the outside temp is 80-100F, the interior temp can be as high as 172F (78C) if exposed to the sun, so you want something that can handle at least 85C (185F) storage temperature. Also, you will want something that is rated for at least 2G of acceleration and 30G of shock, the Teco and others listed are not rated that high at all. It's safer to assume that if a supplier fails to list their environmental limitations, the lack of it indicates they may have something they don't want known. RTFM before you buy.

The IFM unit linked to will meet those specs, but requires CAN programming, not typical of industrial logic if you are not familiar with it.

The only pico type PLCs, those that program like PLCs that is, that I am aware of that are available with those kinds of environmental specs are the Siemens LOGO! Extended Range version (which is also brand labeled as Idec), and the AB Micro 810. Both are available with 12VDC input.
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #17
ROAMER_AUS
Croatia

Thank you for replies everyone. I will go with DirectLogic one for test run. I have one left over from previous project. Needs bit of repairs, but doable. Still have decide for final project tough. Didn't think much about vibrations, thanx for reminding me about that!!!
Old May 12th, 2022, 10:19 AM   #18
ArcReactorKC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by realSharif View Post
Hello, I realize this is a very old post, however this information is for anyone new looking for a good mobile PLC. Parker has a full line-up of IQAN PLC's and components made for the transportation industry and more.

https://www.parker.com/Literature/El...33-1825_us.pdf

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/iqan-mc4...rs-for-mobile-
hydraulic-systems-and-vehicles/20085111

Best, Sharif
you bumped an 8 year old post, to sell us parker products?
Old May 12th, 2022, 10:25 AM   #19
Nova5
United States

Corporate Shill!
Old May 12th, 2022, 10:40 AM   #20
realSharif
United States

No - trying to give real users info. I was looking for alternatives.... No need for your post...
Old May 12th, 2022, 11:32 AM   #21
Steve Bailey
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

When a brand new user's first post is to revive a thread that's been dormant for years to post a link to a commercial site, we generally consider it to be advertising. Had I noticed it before ArcReactorKC posted his comment, I would have deleted it.
Old May 12th, 2022, 12:43 PM   #22
Steve Bailey
United States

Quote:
I'm a moble design engineer looking to improve our vehicle and prodicts.
So far we have no way of knowing for sure if that's true, but I'll accept that you may be who you say you are. The issue is, you used the same MO as the spammers. When you put up a post that looks a lot like spam, don't be so quick to take offense when we treat it like one. When a live telemarketer calls me using a spoofed caller ID, my first question to them is, "You were lying before I answered the phone. Why should I believe anything you say."
Old May 12th, 2022, 02:06 PM   #23
geniusintraining
United States

If it walks like a duck and quack's like a duck, odds are its a duck. Maybe every once in awhile its a kid dressed up as a duck but my money is on... its just another dick
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
Old May 12th, 2022, 07:18 PM   #24
AlfredoQuintero
Lifetime Supporting Member
Japan

The RevolutionPi from Kunbus, which supports the CODESYS soft PLC works from 12 VDC power source.
https://revolutionpi.com/wp-content/...onnect-all.pdf

Edit: Boy... just realized this thread was revided by an advertiser. Not finished my coffee yet...

Last edited by AlfredoQuintero; May 12th, 2022 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Realized I shiuld not have posted.
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:05 AM   #25
I_Automation
United States

I have a "Light Control Changing" PLC for my SUV, just not installed yet.

When scoping out PLC's for the job I ended up getting a ML1400 with an add-on output card. All the inputs and outputs will work with 12V.

The only thing I had to add was a DC-DC converter for 12 to 24V. For that I bought the Automation Direct Click one for running their PLC on 12V, but that only powers the CPU.

Some Jobs Are Best Started With A Sawzall And A Dumpster On Castors

Last edited by I_Automation; May 13th, 2022 at 12:09 AM.
Old May 13th, 2022, 07:12 PM   #26
Zimmer
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

I know it's a resurrected old thread, but for anyone still interested, these are a great little unit for a 12v /24v application, works with 7 to 32V - feee software too. They are tiny and I have used a few, seem very robust. I think they are German made.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/plcs-...ollers/1244308
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum