Remote plc access

jim5

Im a university student and for my project i had to make up a subject. Something that has really interested me is remote maintanance of PLCs. so heres the question.

IF i have a mitsubishi FX 1N with a RS 232 DB card and a DIN rail mounted modem and on the pc side i have a modem and GX developer, can i access the plc and run gx developer. or any diagnostic program.

i have been told i may need to use an opc server and get drivers. Im not sure what they mean as they did not explain why or how they worked or why you needed them. So im kind at a loss what to do.

Any information would be brilliant.

Thanks everyone
James

A modem is a looooooonnnnnngggggg cable that connect your PC to the PLC ... Soooo !!!

What else do you need to know?

Each manufacture has it's own quarks, and I'm not sure about Mitsu, but with AD DirectSoft, you can very easily make a modem connection to the RS-232 programming port on the cpu and call it from a remote location and work with it almost just as if you were working with it on your desk. However the connection is much slower.

Mike what type of modems you use for your AD PLCs.
I need to supply modem to machine I made in Chile.
What AD sale is not in reasonable price.I found modem over here in $20
but they had only one.

Arik,

A few years ago I stopped in a used computer store and bought a box of about 50 modems, some were Supra, USR, and some other off brand I cant think of right now. I think I might have paid about 10 bucks apiece for them all. Mixed bag.

Anyway I set them all up with hyperterminal, made cables etc.. and stuck them on the shelf. We have about 4 left, so I gotta go shopping soon. They are standard 16kb to 36kb modems. No use in getting a 56kb because the analog line speed with be limited to 28kb anyway.

They all work fine. Do you have the setup info??

Arik,

PM me with you email, I lost it when I went to XP. I'll send you something...Better yet if you have my email send me an email.