AB Friendly update

bill4807

Hi,
I am sure most of you guys using AB controllers exclusively already know this through reading tech notes and such. But for others like me not always staying up to date with all rockwells updates here is one for you.

Over the past month I have been working on a few projects some studio V30/31 and some rs5000 V20/20.01. I have been battling with updates, and repairs with studio, rs5000 and FTV. As soon as I think everything is A-OK I end up troubleshooting a program with V20.01. Which is the newest Version i currently have of rs5000. Once I try to open any module properties.. (fatal error)
So the solution. If you have V30 or V31 of studio, you need to update your RS5000 to at least V20.04.02 to have compatibility. (With what I really don't know. ) But once I did it operated properly.

Thought I would share!
Because it's pretty annoying getting to the machine thinking you are going to fix it in 10 minutes, then having to update for an hour first..The 3rd time something like this has happened to me in a very short period of time.

Ugh, sorry you went through that.

v20 coincided with a change to security-signed firmware, as well as a change in product management. The result was a flurry of backward compatibility problems and version confusion and even a product name change that was two or three years premature.

Most folks who have v20 systems have been running v20.04 for a few years, as it's stable and secure and compatible with whatever 20.x firmware you've got.

Ken, thanks for the explanation.
I figured I was a little behind in the first place. It's just been a frustrating process.