PLC5-SLC IO Scanner Fault

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a PLC5 with SLC IO. A couple of times per day the SLC scanner faults: "ESO","L03". The book says IO parity error (slot 3). We replaced the scanner, IO cards, backplane, power supply, and changed power sources. The power looks clean on a scope. We even ran our "blue hose" comm. cabling across the factory floor for awhile. Then, for no apparent reason, the problem went away for about four months; then it suddenly reappeared. The card in slot 3 is an OW16 (relay card). We added surge suppression to all the outputs on this card. I'm going to add another card to an empty slot and begin moving outputs to it one at a time. If I can't fix it, I'm going to add a PLC operated relay to the system to cycle power to this rack automatically when the rack fault occurs! Is it possible for a field device connected to this card to be causing our problem?

After adding another relay card to slot 02, and moving the outputs one at a time after each fault, the problem persisted. After all of slot 3 outputs were moved to slot 2, I removed the output card from slot 3. Well, the problem remained and still pointed at slot 3! Finally, I figured out that I could cause the fault by rapidly cycling a jog button which would turn off output 8 and turn on output 7. I removed the wires from these outputs and could not make the fault return. I replaced the wires, and was able to cause the fault again. I powered down and replaced the 1746-OW16 with a 1746-OA16. Now I can't manually cause the fault. In about a week, if the problem doesn't return, I'll add another post to summarize my findings.

Paul C.

Sounds like some kind of ground loop problem.

But, I've seen similar problems when a intermediate terminal (1492-F1) that was used to terminate the I/O point's common wasn't tightened down very well. The guy wiring the panel stuck the wire in and forgot to torque it down. Just a little vibration disconnected the common, forcing one of the other devices that shared the same common to become the new "common" and it faulted the rack. If I remember correctly it was a input card in a Modicon 984 system.

Found the problem!

After a lengthy and thorough troubleshooting process, I narrowed the problem down to two outputs. Both of them are solenoid valves. They are on outputs O:043/7 and O:043/8. I replaced the OW16 relay card with an OA16 (triac) card. The problem disappeared. On the 1746-OW16, the relays for outputs 7 and 8 are nearest the backplane. Apparently, after 7 years of trouble free operation, one of these solenoid valves began producing electrical noise or current spikes that caused the relay card to fault. In my application, there was no reason that a triac card could not be used, and swapping it was easier than getting to the solenoids.