AB 1746 HSC module

dgolf

Need assistance with obtaining rate in RPM while using the HSC in the range mode. I have the module working as a counter to count length. I would like to know an easy method to obtain the FPM from this information. The HSC instruction isn't available with this module. I know rate = d/t. question is how to program in ladder so I can continuously display the rate to the machine operator.

Since you are counting length, couldn't you do subtraction on a timed basis, say every 5 seconds subtract the previous count from current count, multiply the difference by 12, and display as fpm rate. Not good enough for machine control, but maybe okay for operator info.

Ken

RPM

High Speed Counter is Configured in Range Mode. Don't have RPM value. Can you assist with getting RPM value from the counter. yes then I can use the circumference of the roll the encoder is mounted to to get FPM.

I can not recall the units of the range mode, but I am assuming that it is frequency in hertz (Hz), also known as pulses per second or cycles per second.

The calculation would be [(frequency)*(60sec/min)]/(number of teeth).

This would give you RPM.

Edit - Sorry I have done this with a hall effect switch counting teeth on a gear. Just substitute the pulses per rev (if you are using encoder) in the "number of teeth" above. I also believe that you can set this up in the HSC module if you setup the input for quadrature encoder, I seem to remember some settings for engineering units.

Darren

Last edited: