CompactLogix Losing Program

jthornton

I have a machine with a CompactLogix 32e processor and it loses the program if you turn it off for a minute. I thought it was supposed to keep the program in memory for a week or so without the battery? Waiting on a battery to show up now but curious if there is anything I can check on the processor?

Thanks
JT

Those CompactLogix are very similar to the older ControlLogix; they have no capacitor or nonvolatile Flash memory to hold up the program in the absence of the battery.

The SLC-500 controllers could use their capacitor to hold memory for weeks (or months !) and the modern CompactLogix and ControlLogix write their memory to an onboard Flash device at power-down.

I could write a detailed explanation (or link to the RA Knowledgebase) but the simple answer is that a 1769-L32E or -L35E will lose its program immediately if it is powered down without a good battery installed.

same issue with the the 5069-L4200ERMW plc !
is this weird ?
really we need some ups and battery ?!
Yes, you need a UPS. See publication 5069-UM002C-EN-P:
5069-UM002C-EN-P said:
Unlike other Logix 5000 controllers, the CompactLogix 5480 controllers do not have an internal ESM. Instead, you must connect an external uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to the controller to save the state of project if MOD power is lost.