Unnecessary graphics during installs....

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm sure Rockwell (and others) software installations would take much less time if the screen wasn't being updated for every single action the installer is making. Information that is not relevant, and in most cases too fast to read, so why bother ??

So when it crashes (which it will) you know where it's crashed.

Not that this is often useful information.

I'd bet that displaying the status on the installer has almost no impact on the actual time the software package takes to install. Certainly wouldn't make it take "much less" time. I'm looking at Studio5000 v24, which is 4gb. All the time comes from the number large number of services/packages/dependencies that are getting installed, dll's registered, files unpacked/copied, etc.

Just go to the directory in the v24 installer: /24.nn.nn-Studio5000/LogixDesigner/MP for example, look at the amount of stuff going on with just directory.

edit: The newer Studio5000 installers display almost nothing about the status, they don't take any less time. Your antivirus may have an impact on your install time as well.

Last edited:
If RSLogix installed as easily as Crimson 3.0, would you feel like you got your money's worth?

Yes, I am never happier w/ software than when it goes about its business w/ a minimum of fuss. For installs, I want to hit 'install' and walk away :)

I love it, let’s me know that the installer isn’t locked up and making progress. A lot of progress bar based status is driven off timers and are useless.

Oh man, you have got to try Ignition :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I have tried it about 7 times so far, two more in the pipeline. It's part of the reason I feel like I time traveled to 1980 when I run across a WunderWear app.

But to be honest, Crimson 3.x is better. If they made it a full blown PC based scada software, I would pay $5k for a license and leave Java and SQL behind.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ignition, and it is relatively painless to install, but Productivity Suite is free and painless to install. Click software is free and painless to install. Crimson 3.0 and 3.1 are painless to install and free.

I know nothing is truly free, but with those I listed, you truly do get a lot more than you pay for.

I have said it before and I will repeat it. When Rockwell announced their partnership with Microsoft to improve their software integration with Windows, I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Bill Gates is a wealthy man because he saw a need and filled it: Modern man doesn't have enough conflict is his life.

You're not drunk right now are you??

Sobriety is highly underrated. I have not touched alcohol in over 3 years.

I prefer Crimson to Ignition. I prefer a Braum's strawberry milkshake to a Sonic cherry limeade. They're both great. I have a preference that many won't agree with.