Communication from Siemens PLC to AB PLC

Mihir_007

Hi There,

I am executing a project for MES in which i need to fetch some data from Siemens S7-300 PLC to AB Controllogix. Now the challenge is, Siemens PLC is using Profibus network and from that PLC, i need to fetch some data to AB Contrologix. By means of data, I need to fetch Siemens PLC tags(which say machine is running/stopping/starved/blocked, Fault codes etc.,). It should be written in AB PLC.o_O

I am looking for a gateway/device/technology which can help me to do so.

Can anybody please suggest?

Thanks.
Mihir

Hi There,

I am executing a project for MES in which i need to fetch some data from Siemens S7-300 PLC to AB Controllogix. Now the challenge is, Siemens PLC is using Profibus network and from that PLC, i need to fetch some data to AB Contrologix. By means of data, I need to fetch Siemens PLC tags(which say machine is running/stopping/starved/blocked, Fault codes etc.,). It should be written in AB PLC.o_O

I am looking for a gateway/device/technology which can help me to do so.

Can anybody please suggest?

Thanks.
Mihir

Hi there.

You have a few options....

1. The SST Profibus Module for ControlLogix is a very good module suited for this, I have only used it as a Profibus Master but can operate as either a Master or Slave. You can achieve Master <--> Master Communications via a DP/DP Coupler if necessary, the downsides are the SST Module is quite expensive. To operate as a Slave...you will need to load the GSD file into your Siemens HWConfig.
2. The alternative is an Ethernet/IP --> Profibus Gateway/ Protocol Converter. Anybus do a compatible module.

The only issue from here is converting the data types across between AB and Siemens, however this shouldnt be too difficult.

Regards

Daniel.

I've used Anybus or Redlion numerous times for applications like these.

Easy to set up and seem to be reliable.

Does the Siemens PLC have a network interface?

Siemens provides a library to interface between their PLC's and Rockwell's over ethernet with CIP. You may have to reach out to Siemens directly or dig through their website, but it exists.