Siemens S7 to SAP

mad4x4

We are looking at trying to import some data held in a S7-315 PLC and need to push the data from the PLC across our corperate network to a SAP "Data lake".

Any suggestions on what to look at

Was considering a Siemens IOT2040 running Node-Red

We are looking at trying to import some data held in a S7-315 PLC and need to push the data from the PLC across our corperate network to a SAP "Data lake".

There is an ERPC module that can sit in an S7-300 rack that can act as middleman to all sorts of devices. It's a wierd product though, you buy the module from Siemens, and then you buy the firmware from someone else (deviceWISE). I've seen lots of systems running the full devicewise on an IPC, but I've never seen anyone using the ERPC module.

https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/WW/Catalog/Products/10048951

IOT2040 could be an option, but you need to figure out how to do it yourself.

There are lots of middleware options out there. Expensive ones will usually be easy/quick to configure. Cheap ones will usually require lots of custom work to get it all running.

If SAP is OPC compliant then you would probably be better off using an OPC server like Kepware, It supplies drivers for most PLC's and you can purchase them as required or if you need more than two I/O drivers get the manufacturing suite this reduces the cost. My experience of Siemens is that some of the early I/O drivers were a pain, kept falling over, we replaced them with Kepware and never had another problem.

You are better off with using something like Litmus Automation LoopEdge with native Integration to SAP - rather than Node-red.
SAP has too many configs and my plant SAP node was too "fragile" - so i had to rely something production grade. My usecase was plant monitoring to MES - about 1000-1200 tags or so.

SAP has PCo OPC Client - if you are using it, you can use OPC connection.
(LoopEdge with inbuilt OPC Server - I have used this before )

SAP Datalake / Hana - you can use REST connections.
(LoopEdge + LoopFlows - it's their own custom version of Node-red - I have not tried it before)

SAP Leonardo - You can use MQTT
(LoopEdge + Integration - I have used this before)

Thanks for the responses, I will investigate further, looks like via OPC is the method then but need to find out what our SAP has / hasn't ... still waiting on custodion of system to come back to me.

Ta
Andy