VFD showing Error code 59

iykis

Hello I am new here. Yesterday while I was about starting my conveyor sorter I noticed that one of my VFD (Allen Bradley) powerflex 525 shows communication error on the HMI. I tried to cycle power but there was no display on the VFD powerflex interface. Seems like it was dead. I had to place the VFD on bypass to run my sort. Please can you guys help me figure this out. This has happened to TWO of our VFD's now.

Last edited:
Question
How do we troubleshoot F59 Net Loss DPI P5 fault on a PowerFlex 700S drive?

Answer
The Port 5 Adapter Fault 75 fault will occur if the I/O is configured in the communications card and it is not configured in RSLogix 5000, or vice versa.

If the 20-COMM-E card is used to control the drive, check adapter Parameter 23 [DPI I/O Cfg], Parameter 35 [M-S Input] and Parameter 36 [M-S Output].

If the 20-COMM-C or 20-COMM-D card is used to control the drive, check adapter Parameter 13 [DPI I/O Cfg], Parameter 25 [M-S Input] and Parameter 26 [M-S Output].

Parameters [DPI I/O Cfg], [M-S Input] and [M-S Output] must be set as the same and also match the DataLink configuration in RSLogix 5000. Otherwise, the drive will have DPI Port 5 Fault 75 and a yellow mark will be displayed in from drive in I/O Configuration if you are using ControlNet, EtherNet. The E77 error code will be displayed on DeviceNet scanner if you are using a DeviceNet. network.

The values of Bit 1-4 in Parameters [DPI I/O Cfg], [M-S Input] and [M-S Output] determine whether DataLink A,B,C and D will be used or not. If your Logix program configuration doesn't select DataLink for this PowerFlex drive, then bits 1-4 of Parameters [DPI I/O Cfg], [M-S Input] and [M-S Output] must be set as 0.

See the following user manuals to configure a Master-Slave Hierarchy (Scanner-to-Drive Communication) at DPI Adapter:

20-COMM-E User Manual publication 20COMM-UM010
20-COMM-D User Manual publication 20COMM-UM002
20-COMM-C User Manual publication 20COMM-UM003

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53756

>>>>

Best I can do. Poet

F059(1) Safety Open 1 Both of the safety inputs (Safety 1,
Safety 2) are not enabled.
Configure with t105 [Safety Open En].
• Check safety input signals. If not
using safety, verify and tighten
jumper for I/O terminals S1, S2 and S+.

F059 is the Safety circuit on the VFD being open. Terminals S1 and S2 need to have 24VDC applied to them in order for the circuit to be 'satisfied'. You can also look at parameters t105 and t106 in relation to how that circuit operates. If you do not want to have that fault pop onthe VFD anytime the safety circuit on the VFD isnt satisfied you can turn if off by setting parameter t105 to 1 "FaultDisable". If you want to keep the safety circuit operating in the manner that it operates out of the box leave t105 alone and then you can set parameter t106 to 1 "FltClr Reset", which will allow you to either hit the red stop button on the VFD to clear the fault, or you can clear the fault over Ethernet using the proper command or a DigIn if you set one up that way. If you havent changed either of those parameters from the factory if i remember right, and i could be wrong here, but the only way to clear the F059 fault would then be to power cycle the VFD module.

@JZerb I did power cycle the VFD but it does not come up, the display(Control module ) is blank, not lit up and i can not see the ratings, I only got the Fault code from the HMI. The only signal light that is lit up on the panel is the fault red light.

Where can I check to power up the VFD in order to continue troubleshooting.

@JZerb I did power cycle the VFD but it does not come up, the display(Control module ) is blank, not lit up and i can not see the ratings, I only got the Fault code from the HMI. The only signal light that is lit up on the panel is the fault red light.

Where can I check to power up the VFD in order to continue troubleshooting.

You would have to check the incoming line voltage on the VFD then. L1/L2/L3

Curious how the VFD is sending the fault code to the HMI if it doesnt have any power to it? Unless the PLC stored the 'last' code that came from the VFD and thats what its displaying on the HMI.

My guess is perhaps the 'safety circuit' in your machine tripped and that circuit somewhere controls the incoming line voltage to the VFD and thats where youre sitting now. but i could be totally wrong since im not standing in front of the equipment

That’s what I am thinking; there is a safety contactor ahead of the VFD and it has an aux contact wired to the STO terminals on the 525. Something in the Safety circuit triggered the opening of that contactor, which opened the STO circuit and the VFD sent the 059 fault code to the PLC before the DC bus died. So unless to can solve the safety issue and allow that safety contactor to close again, the drive will not be getting power.

It's not unusual for these drives to die especially if they are powered down frequently, We had a system with 5 PF drives on it and they frequently died. We checked supplies, wiring the works but could not fathom out why. One day I replaced one with a Mitsubishi drive as we had no PF's in stock. We noticed that although we had a number of the PF drives fail (no display) the Mitsubishi did not. We replaced all the drives to Mitsi & never had another problem for about 5 years before the plant was made redundant.

It's not unusual for these drives to die especially if they are powered down frequently, We had a system with 5 PF drives on it and they frequently died. We checked supplies, wiring the works but could not fathom out why. One day I replaced one with a Mitsubishi drive as we had no PF's in stock. We noticed that although we had a number of the PF drives fail (no display) the Mitsubishi did not. We replaced all the drives to Mitsi & never had another problem for about 5 years before the plant was made redundant.

but its my understanding that you shouldnt be removing the incoming line power from the 525 in a "safe off" condition, ie every time an estop is pressed or a light curtain is tripped etc. Thats what the safe off circuit in the drive is for. If that circuit isnt satisfied the drive will never push voltage out of T1/T2/T3 so those S1 and S2 terminals should be tied into your safety circuit. You shouldnt be firing a coil on a contactor thats feeding the incoming line voltage to the drive to make the drive "safe"

Correct, but for some reason this being an American machine they also killed the power to the PLC & HMI on E-stop or Guard, To be honest the panels were not very well designed, installation design was poor (according to our local installer) We had a number of Panelview's die as well, this part I modified & only killed the power to the outputs, however we did not bother with the VFD's as replacing them with Mitsubishi solved the problem.
Over the last few years we had a number of Rockwell equipment failures & due to the high cost of equipment, high cost of tech contracts & faults etc. we took the decision to move to other suppliers which we did not regret. (see other posts on support with RA) there's plenty of moans.