PID - A challenge, is a PID good enough?

Good questions.

When you start to tune is there any particular place to start?

I start with a couple of openloop moves. To a process person that would translate in to controlling the system in manual. I do this just to see how the system responds. I can get a rough idea of what the system gain is. For a motion system I would see what speed the system moves. If it goes 3 inches per second then the system gain is 3 inches per second per volt. The first two spreadsheets with the sinusoidal wave forms where motion system where the system gain was 2 inches per second per volt.

When giving the openloop/manual command, I also look at how quickly the system responds. Look at the real poles spread sheet from last week. Look at the curves carefully. You can easily tell a single poles system from a multiple pole system. Systems with imaginary poles will oscillate or ring. These are all clues that I use.

Next I increase the proportional gain until I get control of the system. This means that I want to be able to keep the actual or PV from drifting around or oscillating. However, there is a point where increasing the proportional gain does no good and increasing the gain just makes the system oscillate. I like critically damped systems.

Next I adjust the feed forwardS. Yes, there can be two or more feed forwards! We have talked about feed forwards yet, but FEED FORWARD ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT GAINS! Ideally 100% of the control effort should come from the FEED FORWARDS. In reality the feedforwards should be able to do 95% of the work and the PID is only required to provide the other 5%.

After I get the feed forwards adjusted the system should look pretty good. I then set the feedforwards temporarily to zero and then tune the PID for a critically damped response so the overshoot in minimized. Normally, people tune their systems so that it is slightly underdamped to get a faster response but I don't because the the feed forwad should do most of the work and it isn't necessary to tune the PID that hot. Tuning the system to be critically damped is usually just a matter getting the ratio between the integerator gain to the proportional gain right. The higher the ratio of the integrator gain to the proportional gain, the quicker the response and the more likely the system is to overshoot. The differentiator may or may not be required. Usually it is but there are two cases I can think of where it isn't. One is the simple velocity system of last week. The other is a system with imaginary poles ( one that rings in response to a open loop step change in the control output ).

When you reduce the system gain from 1 to .5 What does that
mean? If it were a hydrolic system would this mean the pump
was to small?
Yes, or the valve is too small.

And when you go to .3 on the time the system
seems to slow.

Yes, that is the point. I assume you increased time constant A's value from .1 second to .3 second as I suggested. This slows down the response of the system. See the Real Poles Spread Sheet I posted last week. See how a one, two, three and four pole system respond to a step input. Increasing the time onstant is similar to not having enough force to move the mass. In a hydraulic system this occurs because the system pressure is too low or the cylinder is too small in diameter.

Actually, a cylinder is more like the spring part of a mass on a spring.

Is this any where in the ball park??

Yes. You are on the infield playing the game.

Would you accept your temperture or velocity changing like that?

Thomas Sullens said:
302 Higher but red line looked smoother Or is it all
in the eye of the beholder? :confused:

It depends on your requirements. The red line represents something you want to control. If your drive or temperature system can handle the small over shoot you have then your solution is good enough.
Both of your sets of PID gains provide MUCH better results that what
the Ziegler-Nichols method would. People seem to accept the ZN method of tuning, but so many here have proven to themselves that they can do so much better using graphs and either the ITAE or ISE.

I thought this 4 poles system would be more challenging. So many got pretty good results. I wonder how many gave up before getting below 320. I also wonder how much time people are taking to come up with their best gains.

Tom Jenkins, I tried controlling this system with a simple on-off method. It isn't possible. I tried with sliding mode control too. It doesn't work as well as it could with a sample time of 10 milliseconds. SMC works much better with faster switch times.

Here is my tuning. I cheated.

Notice that this file is in our new ftp site which is ftp.deltacompsys.com. Only the public area is accessible now. I was using too much memory on our externally host site. I will copy all the files I has posted to this new site.

I used and double and triple derivatives. I also used the incremental form of PID that tends to handle output saturation better than the absolute form. This spread sheet also uses the PV for the P,D,2D and #D gains. This makes the system respond in a more mellow way to step changes. In general, the more complex the system the more gains are required to get the best results. However, you guys have done well without the tricks. I don't think it is worth the extra effort to tune two extra gains just to get the ITAE down below 200 but who knows? There may be an application that requires the performance. At this time I can only think of motion systems.

Coming soon.... tuning a system that models a mass on the end of a slinky. This uses complex ( imaginary ) poles. This means the system will ring in response to a open loop step in the control signal. The other systems would not ring as they were all real poles. I am trying to make this more difficult yet because you guys have done so well.

Last edited:
Please open a new thread

Hi,

Your question is not relevant for this old thread (15 years old). Please open a new thread and provide all the data you have.

Best regards,
Kelkoon