Help with choosing a system

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I was asked to set up a system for a local town's waste water, and water treatment system. I'll explain first what is existing, then second what they're looking for.

Existing:

They have two water holding tanks at the very top of the town that 3 Well pumps feed into. All of the Well stations have an ELPRO 905U-1 Wireless I/O that works off of radio frequency. All three well stations communicate with the ELPRO-905U-1 unit at the water tanks at the top of town. Right now when the low-level floats in the tanks are triggered it sends a signal to the Wireless I/O to start one of the well pumps.

All three well pumps will eventually start based on the timer system hard wired at each station and a "Lead" pump can be chosen as well. They are in the middle of replacing one of the tanks which was wooden, with a new metal tank. After talking to them thoroughly to see what they need we came up with a plan for them.

Proposed and wanted system:

They want both tanks to have a level transmitter for level indication as well as the option to have a PLC run the floats with a manual bypass just in case the PLC should fail. They want an HMI Station at their works yard which is quite a few kilometers away.

They also would like to have read outs from their Waste Water Treatment Plant Outfall Flow as well as a few others like Dissolved Oxygen and Etc. They would also like to see indication of running feedback from the well pumps. Basically, they want to be able to monitor the towns water system from their works yard and possibly have some control over the water tanks too.

The programming and HMI station is the least of my worries I can handle that. What I've never had to do is build a Comms system for all of these PLC's to work together without an Ethernet Network. They mentioned getting rid of the ELPRO Wireless I/O based on concerns for it being outdated.

Should I be trying to utilize these ELPRO units and maybe just adding another one at the works yard that could possibly communicate with and AB PLC then RSview or Wonderware?

Or should I be looking at using all new Micrologix PLC's with some sort of way for them to all communicate like maybe off of a cellular signal. There's no way to get Ethernet to the devices so we can scratch that.

I'm looking for suggestions to help me design this system moving forward as it's a cool little job to take on. I've attached two pictures, one is of the ELPRO Wireless I/O units and the other is of the Poly Phaser Coax signal protector.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

IMG_7441.jpg IMG_7442.jpg

I may be way off base here, here is my concerns.

since this is a public waste water plant, don't the following rules apply?

1. designed and stamped by a PE.
2. controls designed and stamped by a PE.
3. controls built / programmed by a company that does this type of work.
4. Work is bonded and has insurance.

as I said, I may be way off base, I just know of some work we were asked to do years ago and this was some of the stumbling blocks.

james