Converting .mer file to .apa

WireGuy1950

I have searched the forum for the instruction to do this conversion and found and (I think) properly followed the instuctions I found in previous posts.

Initially, I had limited success. I opened the .mer file diectly as instructed, and then copied the ~mer.00 directory contents to a new .apa file that I created using the same name as the .mer file.

When I tried to view the displays tab (there should have been about 5 or 6 screens), none were present, the tags folder was empty, etc.

I tried to repeat the instructions with a new upload/file but now I cannot get the .mer file to launch at all.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Equipment: PV+1000, RSView Studio for RSView ME v 4.00.00 (CPR7)on W2K laptop.

Thanks

Then I'm assuming that you copied everything over the top of that directory with the stuff from the mer.000 directory.

Is the application that you are restoring the same version as your RSViewStudio? I've never tried different versions before, so that could be it.

When you are copying the information over the top, do you have RSView Studio open?

Have you tried renaming the application within Application Manger to see if that would help, basically just getting a different part of RSView Studio to look at the application files.

Yes, I copied the contents of the ~mer.00 directory into the Studio application file replacing all.
Don't know what version the upload is, I never had the source file.
I think that studio was open when I copied the information. That could have been a bad thing. But I tried the procedure again with a fresh upload and creating a new Studio file, and now I can't get the .mer file to open. I have tried deleting the ~mer.00 directory also.

No, I have not tried to rename the application yet.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

If you still can't get it, I can try it on my computer if you want.
Also, is you RSView Studio licensed correctly? When you run the MER does can you see more than 5 screens, an unlicensed version only allows 5 screens.
My last suggestion would be to verify that you have the most recent version of FactoryTalk installed. When ever I have problems with RSView Studio, I'll just do an update of FactoryTalk just to make sure.

I've tried it with my computer, and I get the same results that you do. Do you have the panelview that this came from? Would it be possible to look at the version on the Panelview?

Thanks for trying.
The Panel View is: PV+1000, 2711P-RDK10C ser A rev F
with 2711P-RN6 Adapter using RIO
Firmware 4.00.03.60 (CPR 7)
Hope you can figure something out.

Thanks again
Guy

I think it has to do with the fact that you can't open that application because of the 5 screen limit with your RSView ME Runtime license.

You have a couple of options. Find someone that has a full license for RSView ME Runtime (which I don't, I used to at my last job that is why I used to be able to do this). Or insert a memory card into the PCMCIA card into the memory slot and try to copy over the directory from the actual Panelview Plus file structure. You can gain access to the file structure using a USB keyboard (not all USB keyboards work, but most do). When you have the keyboard working, press Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Windows Start Key, all at the same time. This will bring up a task manager type window. Run the program console.exe. You have to use your shortcut keys Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. I haven't found an actual file explorer in the Panelview Plus, but you can just use the open dialog box as a sort of file explorer. You have to change the file type that the "open dialog" is looking for from *.exe to *.*. I hope this helps.
I'll see if I can find a computer that has the full install of Runtime in the meantime.
Good luck.

Here is your recreated MER file. It opens fine on my version (ME 4.0) but I have a unlimited number of screens that I can use. It you have only a 5 screen version, you may have problems.

I followed instructions. :)

Actually I did a search on mer here on this website. One of the posts talked about how to restore an APA file. I figured I would try this method out just in case I ever need it.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=31166&highlight=mer

From the topic.

Select all the files within the “~MER.00” directory and copy them into the “Restored App” directory overwriting all the files in the “Restored App” directory. Now go and open the RSView Studio and select Restored App. Like I mentioned before you will certainly lose the alarm messages, but you can open the M_Alarms directory and read the MachineAlarms.mal file in notepad.