InTouch question: slider controls on touchscreens?

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've recently been asked by a customer if I can incorporate sliders for controlling a pump's VFD. Instead of manually typing in a speed, he is asking if a slider can be used instead. Easy enough, except that I wonder how a slider might react on a smartphone/tablet touchscreen when an operator is remotely connected. In the runtime environment of InTouch, sliders are a click and drag operation on a desktop machine; on a touchscreen, this is obviously not possible; touching and holding, at least on an iPad, brings up add'l options like save/open/copy/etc and my old Android phone was similar.

Does anyone have experience with how sliders in InTouch behave on touchscreens when remotely connected?

If InTouch is running on the tablet then InTouch is in charge of the touch controls and should override the OS for long press.

I guess that's the real question; does InTouch have a mobile app, or is it going to be a web interface, or something else? I believe the plan is to VPN into the server, so that will be its own app right?

edit: Wonderware's AccessAnywhere is likely how we're going to connect, and that is a browser based solution so it won't be a standalone app.

Last edited:
To be sure of compatibility I would program 2 pushbuttons on the HMI: INC & DEC

In the PLC look for one of the PB's without the other on and either ADD or SUB 1 from the value every .1 seconds, using a looping timer with preset of 0.1 seconds if either PB is pressed, and doing the ADD or SUB only on the scan when the timer DONE is on.

You can tweak the calculation by changing the value other than 1, or change the timer preset as wanted.

To be sure of compatibility I would program 2 pushbuttons on the HMI: INC & DEC

In the PLC look for one of the PB's without the other on and either ADD or SUB 1 from the value every .1 seconds, using a looping timer with preset of 0.1 seconds if either PB is pressed, and doing the ADD or SUB only on the scan when the timer DONE is on.

You can tweak the calculation by changing the value other than 1, or change the timer preset as wanted.

Very good idea. I'm just getting ready to deploy AccessAnywhere pretty soon. So not sure if web app will overide OS. I do that it is using a computer him client so it might. Won't really know until you test.