Offering My Apologies

Archie,
I can only speak for myself, but you have nothing to apologize for in my eye's.

You have created a great product and offered it to the world for free and have been very humble in doing so.
If I had the ability to do what you have done....I would be shouting it from the rooftop.

Hopefully you will still continue to contribute to the forum on all matters Advanced HMI, keeping us up to date on any improvements or additions to the software and keep offering help and advisement to everyone in need on your product.

Thanks for your contributions,
BCS

+1

Just the fact that you created this post speaks volumes about your character, and intent.
No worries here.

@Archie,
I agree with the other posters on this thread. Please keep doing things the same way you have been doing them. I respect your work on AdvancedHMI, as well as the great support that you provide for it.
If Phil has asked you to change your posting habits, then you will have to honor the admin of this site, but please don't change because of the comments of a few disgruntled posters.

Archie,

AdvancedHMI has always been a pleasure to work with. I've never seen any posts from you I would regard as "advertising". I've never seen you push AdvancedHMI or sales of its add-on features. I think informing an OP of options available to them by AdvancedHMI or through AdvancedHMI, remains in the "spirit" of the forum, as there are many posts by many others suggesting a certain software and/or hardware solutions.
I also think informing members of new features of AdvancedHMI, and informing the forum in general of updates or add-ons, remains valuable to the forum.

I've used AdvancedHMI on several occaisions, and because of that, when I've seen posts initiated by you, I tend to read them.
Thank you, for all that you have done for the community as a whole!

DB

Last edited:
@Archie keep it going, you are a very well respected person on these fourms.

Archie.
I had no idea that you were responsible for Advanced HMI (I sometimes miss the obvious) so first let me say that I love it and look for excuses to play with it. Second, I didn’t see anything in either of the two threads that warrants an apology. I’ve never felt that I was being solicited in any of the threads I’ve read involving A MHI.
One of the things that I’ve noticed on this site is that many of us are more than just automation engineers but automation hobbyist as well and your software plays well in both realms. I’m self taught when it comes to PLC programming and a big chunk of what I’ve learned has come from reading posts on this site. I think it would be a great idea to create a section where someone could post applications that they created or worked on and how they did it. It would be fun to see what’s being done (both at a professional and hobby level) and would be a benefit to those who continue to learn how to program.

I'm for a section for just that! I'm sure the members here come across new things all the time, and I am always eager to see something that I can benefit from.

We all have our sales-reps... And we need them, because we need to know what they have, and they need to know what we need. We are used to them and know they are selling, but we listen. Because we need them, because they know what they have to offer..

If they start sending us e-mails every day, calling us for every new feature or update, sending brochures for things we don't need in our buissnes, then they are only advertising. And we send them to spam...

But if they respect boundaries, send useful information, we need them and want them..

I think of you as a good sales rep.
Simple as that... :)

Last edited:
Archie:

I for one would be happy to hear about improvements and challenges for AdvancedHMI, and any other great ideas you come up with.

I did not follow the original thread, but IMHO your apology should close the matter.

Stu.....

Archie,

I have never really felt like you were advertising your product. It has always come off as someone who has passion for something they have created and also someone who really appreciates helping others.

FWIW, keep it up! I think what you've done is awesome!

Archie,
I've couldn't have said it better then some here. Please keep up the great passion you have.
George

+ another one for Archie, and hope he keeps up the great work he is doing.

Simple to follow and Advanced HMI will most likely be implemented on a plant floor situation where a group of machines will be tied into it for production monitoring and control. This breaks out to every department in the factory having a terminal.

See how it goes, but their guys are into it.

Sure it's advertising. No doubt about that.

Free or not, has nothing to do with it. Facebook is free too and they make a good sum of money on their free service.

Reviews are good, but they have to be done by those without vested interest in a particular product. Otherwise it's just advertising.

Still no big deal. I've read the other threads and didn't find them offensive or too much out of line but it sure is advertising.

But it's up to the forum owners/mods to determine what level of advertising is accepted. There is always a big gray zone. On many other forums it would be considered advertising to put your company name or product in your sig line. It would however never be advertising to mention someone else's product.

I'm for a section for just that! I'm sure the members here come across new things all the time, and I am always eager to see something that I can benefit from.

I would love that... not only as a user but also as a supplier, I do see how it can be taken advantage of by people just wanting to advertise but when I come up with a new product regardless if I am just selling it or created it, I want to share it with everyone because its a great product and solves a problem (I hope) as Peter said... its my baby and I want to show it off and looking for feedback most of the time, is my baby ugly? does it work as expected? this is how we improve our products and other then sending emails to customers (that they take as spam) is the only way to get good feedback

There are several on here that walk a line on trying to help others and sell their products... I was a member for a couple years before I started my supply business and the reason I started it was I saw the need from users on this site asking where to find products at a reasonable price and how to use the products that I now sell

Are there many of my customers on this site? yes but there are also many of my suppliers on this site as well, I am a small business and need to sell my products... that said I would say that less then 1% of my business comes directly from PLCTalk.net but I am very grateful for that 1%, I think as long as someone does not dig up a old thread and points people to products that will help the member here its a win win for both, digging up a 5 year old thread is much different then what Archie and Mark were doing and I see nothing wrong with it.

I do still think that you can block a person on the website... so if anyone is offended by what is done that can just block them or me for that matter

I have asked Phil several times about the gray line and he has always given me a straight forward answer so if anything is questionable I just ask, then respect his word :site: