Cscape Horner X5

widnerkj

Howdy folks. I've got a question for the brain trust.
I have a project that is calling for a X5 to control a Toshiba P9 VFD. The requirements are pretty straightforward. But I have never worked with either of these two devices before.

I want to tell the pump to run at 2 setpoints. (pretty sure I have that figured out, going to send an output from the X5 to an input on the VFD)

And also raise / lower. (same solution)

I'm also taking a 4-20 mAh input from a transducer to display GPM.

Am I correct in that I can use the 4 outputs from the X5 to give those commands to the P9? On paper this sounds very simple. But as I have said, I've never worked with these devices before.

Thank you,
Keegan

The Horner is quite flexible, and if you get the right I/O you can do what you want. Control over a comm link is also a possibility. Horner has pretty good tech support, so you can always contact them. The X5 doesn't seem to have analog outputs. With your scheme you don't need it, but there is more flexibility if the speed settings are in the controller and not the drive. I've used their remote I/O with success.

One note - on some models the analog inputs didn't have reverse polarity protection. If that's the case with your model you may want to add some diodes.

Yes, the toshiba is handling the speed settings. The X5 is basically 4 fancy spendy buttons with a GPM gauge on it. Thank you for the quick reply.

Even though this was written for the XL4. You may get some good information from this series.

http://accautomation.ca/programming/plc-basics/
Follow the above link and go to the following heading:

Horner XL4 Series

System Hardware
Installing the Software Cscape
Cscape Software Setup
Establishing Communication
Numbering System and Addressing
User Interface
Timers and Counters
Compare and Move Instructions
Math Instructions
Program Control Instructions
Rotate and Shift Register
Recipe Instruction
Report Generator
Modbus RTU Instructions
FTP File Transfer Protocol Server
HTTP Web Server
Modbus TCP AdvancedHMI Communication
Firmware Update
Data Logging

Regards,

As long as the drive can operate from sinking inputs, you should be good. The X5 is a nice little unit. They've cut the cost with the minimized I/O and a few other hardware reductions from the XL's. You can still use the remote I/O if needed.