Graphite vs CR3000, Red Lion HMIs.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
Has anybody tried both the Graphite and the CR3000? I learned the G3 are going to be discontinued in a couple years, and I need to make a decision about which one of those 2 series would be a best choice.
I am not planning on using the PLC capabilities the Graphite has (with added hardware), just in case somebody can argue that fact. Also, I know the Graphites are more expensive, but maybe they worth it, beyond the PLC feature.

I will appreciate your comments!
Thank you!

Here are my thoughts: if you need a rugged HMI because it is outside, in a harsh environment or has to handle some vibration I would go with the Graphite models. If you don’t have that kind of environment then I would go with the CR3000.

Hope that helps.

Here are my thoughts: if you need a rugged HMI because it is outside, in a harsh environment or has to handle some vibration I would go with the Graphite models. If you don’t have that kind of environment then I would go with the CR3000.

Hope that helps.

Thank you!

I am in the same boat as you are. We used old vb programs on panel PC's and I wanted to move towards a standard HMI. One thing to consider is the CR1000/CR3000 product line is really new so be careful on selecting your new hardware. How much product development do you really want to do for Red Lion?

I ordered a CR1000 and had two issues right out of the gate. I have heard that some people have used the CR1000 without any issue so maybe the issue was a fluke. I tried to originally order the CR3000 but as of the first part of May, they were not ready for shipment yet.

I wanted to use the Graphite series but the cost put me in the same range as some if the AB screens which is what a lot of our customers prefer but don't want to pay the AB sticker price.

I ended up using the Weintek 10" screen and I am pleased with the product. The Crimson software is a bit more intuitive but not enough to matter in my case.

I ordered a CR1000 and had two issues right out of the gate. I have heard that some people have used the CR1000 without any issue so maybe the issue was a fluke. I tried to originally order the CR3000 but as of the first part of May, they were not ready for shipment yet.
I don't want to use the CR1000 because they don't have web server nor data logging.

I wanted to use the Graphite series but the cost put me in the same range as some if the AB screens which is what a lot of our customers prefer but don't want to pay the AB sticker price.
I think the AB are still more expensive. And, be careful, because some of the AB models don't allow you to use a PLC other than AB.

I ended up using the Weintek 10" screen and I am pleased with the product. The Crimson software is a bit more intuitive but not enough to matter in my case.
For me, it's Red Lion all the way, unless the project budget calls for a C-more.

Thank your for your comments!

I have used the CR1000 and delivery was very late, but I had no problems with it. I use quite a few of the Graphites and they are really sweet. I think the G3 is actually faster at booting and updating...but we're talking about the difference between 7 seconds and 10 seconds so not a big difference.

If the CR3000 series is still being delayed, I would tend to hold back planning to use one, which is good to know, since I have a project coming up which will call for Web Server and data logging support, so I will just use a Graphite and wait for Red Lion to get their new schtick in gear before I commit to using the CR3000.

Press your supplier for a discount too. We are getting a pretty decent price on the graphites making them about half the cost of the same size PV+. But the real savings is in development time especially if you are doing anything that isn't very basic.