equivalent of Class J fuse in IEC standard

Kataeb

Kindly, what is the equivalent of Class J fuse in IEC standard?

Like what is the replacement of the below fuses in Siemens (or other) brand catalog?

HSJ200 Fuse - Ferraz/Mersen, 200 A, HSJ, Class J,Fast Acting, 600 V
HSJ250 Fuse - Ferraz/Mersen, 250 A, HSJ, Class J,Fast Acting, 600 V
HSJ300 Fuse - Ferraz/Mersen, 300 A, HSJ, Class J,Fast Acting, 600 V

Thank you

Must it be IEC, or must it be Siemens ?
Siemens have UL style Class J fuse holders:
https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/WW/Catalog/Products/10339912
The fuses probably have to be supplied from another manufacturer.

Apart from that, I think it may be difficult to find exact IEC equivalents for UL fuses.
The typical voltages will be 440V, 500V or 690V not 600V. 690V will be more expensive if you dont actually need it.

UL Class J has short circuit breaking capacity of 200 kA. If you need that it will be difficult to get. 120 kA seems to be max for IEC.
I have a feeling that UL and IEC have different standards for defining short circuit breaking capacity.

The manual (page 1-12, attached snippet here) mentions fuse size, and the footnote recommends using Class J, CC, T, or BS88 600V fuses.

If you need to meet IEC standards, just use an appropriately sized IEC fuse. If I recall, most of the fuses are fairly similar, but UL and IEC have different open/close ratings on the fuse.

If you don't need to meet any standard, but are just trying to make all the fuses the same, I would just skip the fuse, spend the extra money, and put it on a 140M circuit breaker.

Personally, I always go with the recommendations in the manual, as it provides a bit of a security blanket for myself if something goes wrong. I have a piece of paper to point to.

PF400 FUSE.PNG
pf400 fuse2.PNG

Last edited:
Before a drive, electronic or semiconductor fuses are the best. They can potentially save the drive if it is experiencing a short circuit on its output.
Siemens semiconductor fuses are called SITOR.
If saving the drive is not important, then any fuse or circuit breaker that is rated for the current, required breaking current and voltage will do.