RSLogix emulate 5000 Questions

timcph2008

Hello Guys,

From what I research, the RS emulate 5000 basically only has 3 module, the RSLinx module, Emulator, and IO simulator. The OPC is the only way to communicate to other software/device.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any allen bradley software can emulate specific cards?

2. I remember I read one post, about the "inhibit module". For the Rslogix program, can I add all the card and use "inhibit module" to simulate the cards? Because if rsemulate 5000 only can work on the controller and a digital IO card, what is the purpose for the emulation?

3. Would if be possible to communicate different emulate controller in different machine? Maybe one of the PLC get data from the OPC server?

I am confuse, it seems the RS emulate 5000 has a lot of limitation, and is function does not look like a emulator if there are only 2 module I can use.

Would any experienced expert can give a little bit help here?

Thank you!

Emulate is intentionally limited to prevent you from trying to use it for actual process control. It can't communicate with real PLCs, and it can't control real IO. SoftLogix lets you control real IO with the "processor" being your PC.

I find Emulate good for testing HMI development, and capturing screenshots for documentation. It is also good to test out an idea or an algorithm (if you don't have, or are away from, a test processor). To truly "emulate" a program is a lot more work. It's more than just having IO cards in your tree. If your logic thinks it's commanding a motor to go, then it better think it sees feedback from the contactor, product going by photocells, data coming in from barcode readers, or your logic won't work like the real world. You would basically have to write an entire shadow program to emulate your real world process. Emulate 5/500 had "debug" files for this. In Emulate 5000 you can add imaginary modules / racks in the IO tree (Powerflex drives, point IO), inhibit them (so you can write to input tags without having them clear), then write another routine to read / write to the IO tags.

I also think the simulated IO card is a piece of junk. it has ridiculously small buttons to press to change the inputs, really small lights to see the output, and it isn't even a supported card, it has to be manually configured as a generic card. But it has a cute little animated sliding door! I find it more useful to simply add the cards I plan on using in the real processor, so the tag structure is correct.

Last edited:
What I generally do is make all the io cards inhibited and then I make a simulation routine using the input and outputs through the code/HMIs and make sure everything works as its suppose too (before installing or for testing).

So, I use to make big simulations for machine centers and run them making fake batches etc.. This allowed me to have really easy start ups (check IO, small corrections to setpoints and everything just works).

I agree with Van. The emulator IOs are completely unnecessary. After all, it's all based on numbers anyway. Simply create your own IO with some separate code and tags, and manipulate them in any way.

At one facility where I worked, a very expensive test bench was built to test controls with potentiometers, knobs, switches, and lights. You would have to be as agile as the "man behind the curtain" to run the thing. It was a monumental waste of money.

It is best to manipulate IOs virtually. You can run programs and test applications while on an airplane. You can also do presentations and training. It's even better if you can use a physical processor and a power supply.

Thank you guys,

Yes seems we can emulate most of the modules through the inhibit function.

However, i have more concern on emulate a PLC network.
if I cannot emulate the ethernet module, doesnt it means I still need to make some change on my project to establish the network before I download the project to the real world application?

Also, one emulator has maximum 16 slot, what if I have 18 PLC, without Ethernet moduel, I cant communicate 2 emulator, right?

I can add the ethernet module to the IO tree, but I can inhibit it. Also I dont see a powerflew device is available on my emulator 5000.

RSlogix emulate 5000 - when i create a processor module i have no option to select a version of the processor (I am using VM). Any help?

Here is what I do (also using VM)...

1. Right-click on an empty slot and select Create
  2. Select the Emulate 5570 Controller and click OK
  3. In the top left, click on the Version drop down menu and select the verison I require. Click Next
  4. Select which computer CPU core i want it to use. This is usually just for when I am emulating multiple controllers. In that case I will assign each controller to its own CPU until I am out of CPUs and then I start doubling them up. Click Finish

I leave the other settings at their default.

OG