KEPServerEX 6.4 Allen-Bradley Tag Generation - Too many Tags

Tanquen

I'm using the Tag Generation option in KEPServerEX with an Allen-Bradley ControlLogix 5500 Ethernet PLC.

It's created some 75000 tags and we only need a few thousand. When I open the OPC Quick Client it fills the KEPServerEX log with tags it can not read.

My PLC guy tells me that they do not exist in the PLC. ???

Is in the PLC:
PROGRAM:SV15_CH01_RIO.SV15_CH01_AI01.PARAMFAULT0

Not in the PLC:
PROGRAM:SV15_CH01_RIO.SV15_CH01_AI01.FAULTED[0]

Any ideas?

You can only generate tags from the device or from an L5K file. If your are generating directly from the device then we are generating what it has in it.

Now with that said currently we generate for items that are scoped for internal and those for external access. However the controller will not allow access to the internally scoped items and the driver will post CIP 04 or 05 errors for those items.

There is a plan to change this so that by default internally scoped items are not generated gut that work has not been done yet. You can contact kepware for more information on what that will happen.

My suggestion is to contact Kepware Technical Support. They are going to want to get a wireshark of the ATG process to see what is passed to the server for generation.

Thanks for the info, Fred.

It’s too bad this is the default as it makes tag browsing a bit unwieldy and not so useful. No other way to hide or filter the tags?

I was also trying to add a simple tag under a device in KEPServerEX and looks like there is no way to add a simple placeholder or memory tag. Like an always on memory tag but under the device. I don’t need it to work I just don’t want to add error messages about tags that KEPServerEX can’t read. Even though you can add Advanced Tags that point to KEPServerEX “_System” and the Channel “_System” and even Device “_System” none can be used in a created device tag address. I have some global objects in the View SE application that sometimes don’t have a certain process value and I’d like to use a dummy tag found in the same device so I don’t get errors about not finding the tag.