PLC won't go into run mode

All,
I've had a recurring problem with the 1756-L72 ControlLogix5572 Controller. The processor will show that it is in run mode on the card itself (green LED) but the software doesn't show any mode (no green light but displays "run mode"). I tried toggling the mode in the software and received the message "unable to go into run mode". The "I/O OK" LED shows green, the "Controller OK" LED shows green and the "Energy Storage" LED shows no color. I tried cycling power (no change). I ended up removing the Energy Storage Unit", cycling power, reinstalling the ESU and downloading the program. Does anyone have any further information on this. I've had this happen a few times on different controllers. Thanks in advance!o_O

All,
I've had a recurring problem with the 1756-L72 ControlLogix5572 Controller. The processor will show that it is in run mode on the card itself (green LED) but the software doesn't show any mode (no green light but displays "run mode")

Is running the application when the led is green?

What firmware is installed in the controller?

Did you test using a different PC?

I believe this is a known anomaly with a small or an empty continuous task.
Change cont task to a periodic with 10ms Rate.

Summarizing:

a) Under normal circumstances, the controller is running and the system under control is working as expected.
b) In any moment, the system stops but the Run led on the controller is still green.
c) When you go online, RSLogix indicates that the controller is not running. However, it's not possible to change the controller mode (from RSLogix).
d) There's no minor error in the controller.
e) There's no error message in the controller display.

Did you try using the key on the front of the controller? (Program -> Run, twice).

There was a problem with some Energy Storage Module manufactured in 2014 but I'm not sure if that's the case. High vibration or shock could trigger a fault.

It's difficult to say what's happening. I would try a spare controller, just to know if it's something with hardaware or software.

I had this(I think the same thing) happen the other day. After a power outage, my servo would not run. When I went online with the CLX (version 20), the run LED in the software was gray. The dropdown next to the Run LED did not give me the option to go to Program mode or to upload or download. I f I tried downloading from the offline state, I got a message that downloading was not allowed in the current CLX state. The message on the front of the CLX controller was something about an unconnected message timeout. Placing the keyswitch to program mode and back to run did not fix the issue. Cycling power did not fix the issue.

I finally pulled out every Ethernet card from the chassis and then cycled power. That got me the green LED run light in the software. I then reinserted the Ethernet cards.

My coworker had a similar issue last year. He found that it was a version 20 issue (he thought it also related to Powerflex 525 drives as well?). He upgraded to version 21 and has had no further issues. I plan to do the same at my next opportunity.

I had this(I think the same thing) happen the other day. After a power outage, my servo would not run. When I went online with the CLX (version 20), the run LED in the software was gray. The dropdown next to the Run LED did not give me the option to go to Program mode or to upload or download. I f I tried downloading from the offline state, I got a message that downloading was not allowed in the current CLX state. The message on the front of the CLX controller was something about an unconnected message timeout. Placing the keyswitch to program mode and back to run did not fix the issue. Cycling power did not fix the issue.

I finally pulled out every Ethernet card from the chassis and then cycled power. That got me the green LED run light in the software. I then reinserted the Ethernet cards.

My coworker had a similar issue last year. He found that it was a version 20 issue (he thought it also related to Powerflex 525 drives as well?). He upgraded to version 21 and has had no further issues. I plan to do the same at my next opportunity.
Ran into the same issue when I had to make some gateway changes to our PLC. Thanks very helpful.
But still don't wanna flash the firmware coz, then I'll have to use Studio5000 instead of RSLogix5000. Any comments??