FactoryTalk View SE V10 - Global Object not updating?

Tanquen

V 10.00.01
Patch 9

Is there a good way to get the child Global Objects to update? It seems whenever I make a change like moving an object (text, line, rectangle) inside the Global Object the changes are randomly ignored. I’ve had to try renaming object or deleting them and then putting them back to get the process screen instances to update.

Anyone know a good way to get them all to update everything?

Thanks.

Kinda lame but I found I can copy the Global Object on the Global Object screen and then rename the original to some else and then rename the new copy to the original name and then the process screen objects will update. ???

I'm assuming you closed the displays the objects were in and then reopened?

Yea, I don't think anything will update unless you close the screen and then reopen it. Also, its some objects that move or update and not others. Like I move a valve that is a group inside the Group Object and parts of it will move. It be lame. This and the mouse jumping to more than one pixel and the object handles getting out of sync is a real drag. Makes things so slow. They need to like fix stuff. :(

V 10.00.01
Patch 9

Is there a good way to get the child Global Objects to update? It seems whenever I make a change like moving an object (text, line, rectangle) inside the Global Object the changes are randomly ignored. I’ve had to try renaming object or deleting them and then putting them back to get the process screen instances to update.

Anyone know a good way to get them all to update everything?

Thanks.

Yes, I've had that happen too; starting in version 9.
Maybe, you could try exporting all the screens to XML and then importing them again.

I change the G.O. default settings, sometimes linking animations and connections and sometimes not. I'll even break G.O. links too.
But those settings only (should) affect the next G.O. copy action that you take. My feeling is that there is a bug in there, as a result of messing around with those settings.

If the XML import/export doesn't work then stay with your copy/paste/rename solution.

Per this 2 year old thread, I've had this many times with v9 (I think), 10 and 11 in Win7 and Win10. Global Object changes randomly ignored. If I go to a screen where an instance of the Global Object is used and move it by 1 pixel, all instances will again work. I've probably done it 40 times in 2 years. Apparently any move at all causes regeneration of the screen.

From what I recall, sometimes an edit of the Global Object within the Global Object Display does not trigger a Save.

In other words, you open the Global Object Display, make a change to an object, and then close the display. It lets you close the display without saving. Somehow the change doesn't trigger the "would you like to save your changes" message and the Save icon is actually greyed out. When you close the display, the changes are discarded.

I also got into the habit of moving my Global Object just a little bit when I made a change. The move is enough of a change to trigger the save prompt. Otherwise, you'd have to do a Save As and overwrite the existing file.

OG

Last edited:
Did anybody find or know a fix for this, it still seems to be a persistent bug in FTView 11 (Win 10).
I have a global header and when I add something to the header it struggles to update. Sometimes it manages to update the global header and adds the object in the pages, but it keeps sending my new object to the bottom level (arrangement).
I also noticed that if I change the group number of original objects on the header. It will loose the link to one of two of the objects in that group on the pages. Could this be an object linking issue causing the bug rather than the header not saving?

So after some playing, the bug is defiantly still there.

I found the only way to get the global objects to update on all displays properly was to close FTView and then reopen the program.

Did anybody find or know a fix for this, it still seems to be a persistent bug in FTView 11 (Win 10).
I have a global header and when I add something to the header it struggles to update. Sometimes it manages to update the global header and adds the object in the pages, but it keeps sending my new object to the bottom level (arrangement).
I also noticed that if I change the group number of original objects on the header. It will loose the link to one of two of the objects in that group on the pages. Could this be an object linking issue causing the bug rather than the header not saving?
I don't have this issue, just close and open the screen, mine automatically updates.
If you do need to trigger save, you don't need to move anything, just add an new object and then delete it, it will trigger a save request.