How to Set COMM Path For MSG to CIP Devices Not in RSLogix 5000 Project Tree

I have a question on a subject of etherent nodes in rslogix 5000 project tree for a project that I am working on. I am trying to read if read results from 2 Cognex Dataman 302 scanners are valid into the PLC (CompactLogix 1769-L24ER-QB1B) by using explicit CIP messages to get the information.

Service Code= 0xE
Dataman ID Reader Object Class Code= 0x74
Instance= 0x1
Attribute ID= 0x10

I do not have anymore Implicit Ethernet/IP connections available in the controller, so I'm trying to do a work around to use Explicit CIP messages to read data from the dataman scanners.

The question I have is, do I need to have the scanners in the project tree in RSLogix 5000 in order to use their communications path in the CIP message? If not, how would I go about setting up the proper communications path to read data from them (If this will work)?

Scope creep is a pain, isn't it ? You would think that by this point in my career I'd choose a controller one size bigger than what I think I need, but noooo.

Anyhow: you don't need the devices in the I/O tree to send them Explicit messages.

You could do dead-reckoning by entering the CIP Path port and address pairs manually, or you could put the devices into the I/O tree but Inhibit them with the Inhibit checkmark.

In general, the CIP Path will be simple: just "2, {IP Address}". Because you're dealing with a modern CompactLogix, the Ethernet port is just "Port 2" and you don't have to fuss with any daughtercard slots or virtual backplane objects.

Thank you Ken for your answer, and PLCstarter for asking the exact question I had. This just helped me a bunch and saved a download during production!!

Cheers

Since the thread has been resurrected, I may as well add an amendment for anyone who needs this in the future.
In general, the CIP Path will be simple: just "2, {IP Address}". Because you're dealing with a modern CompactLogix, the Ethernet port is just "Port 2" and you don't have to fuss with any daughtercard slots or virtual backplane objects.
For the new 'modern CompactLogix' (ie 5380) the Ethernet port is "Port 2" only in Linear/DLR mode.

If in Dual-IP mode, the Enterprise port (A1) is "Port 3" and the Device-level port (A2) is "Port 4"