SLC, HSCE card and rate type flowmeter

Carkington

Does anyone here have any experience with the 1746 HSCE card on an SLC 503?

I read the user and installation manuals and got some info. But I don't know enough about high speed counters to get it all.

An SLC 5/03 has a 1746-HSCE card installed. I am using a flow meter to measure water flow in a process. It is a paddle wheel type and outputs a variable frequency 3 to 200 hertz signal proportional to flow rate. We are trying to measure an amount of water used in a batch process.

Set me straight if I am on the wrong track here. We are using old, salvaged equipment and the accountant is a tightwad.

Specific questions.

1) What input terminals do I use on the HSCE? The flowmeter needs 8 to 35 vdc on the (+) leg with a resistor for current limiting, with the negative side on the (-) leg.

2) Rate or range?

3) Count up using a ring counter I think. And reset to '0' once the batch add of water is done.

I understand how the input words work. This is described in the user manual. Also M0 and M1 words are described. What I am lost on is the wiring and setup to use.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.