You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old June 4th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #1
kevbloke
United Kingdom

RSLogix 5 data file question

Hi all,

Im trying to add some more elements to a Floating point data file without much success. Its already set up for F8:0 only. I would like to add another 4 elements to this.
When im offline the elements box allows me to change the number of elements and when i do this the 'last' box changes to suit this I.e. F8:5.
I click on save and open the file again and all is good.As soon as i go online and open the data file the new elements have disappeared.
There are no passwords set up on the PLC.
Any ideas please.
Many thanks
Kev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Data_file.jpg (30.6 KB, 40 views)
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #2
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

When you go online, you are uploading what is still in the PLC-5. I believe some models allow you to expand the data table while online, while other models will require you to do it offline (as you already did) and then perform a download which will interrupt the process.

I like to "blow out" the data tables and make room for plenty of all types. I also tend to add spare program files. Each time you make such changes to an offline project, right click on the Program Files icon in the project tree and click Verify Project. Then look at the controller properties to see how much memory you have free. Always leave a few kilobytes for online editing, but it is better to "have and not need than to need and not have" and end up having to "blow them out" some more with a subsequent download.

Last edited by OkiePC; June 4th, 2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #3
kevbloke
United Kingdom

Thank you OkiePC

When on line the boxes are greyed out so no changes possible. I will have to do a down load when the machines not running.
They might get the hump if i do it now

Kev
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Doug-P
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePC View Post
I believe some models allow you to expand the data table while online, while other models will require you to do it offline (as you already did) and then perform a download which will interrupt the process.
IIRC, One can add data table memory while online only by going to PROGRAM mode first.

Of course, it's the same effect as going offline to do it, ie. the processor is not in RUN for the duration of either change.

Let's eat, Grandma!

Words are very important, but punctuation saves lives...
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum