Way OT – Employer/Employee Conflict

It is my experience that the particular set of divine revelation adhered to by a given individual is pretty much an accident of birth. I am a Christian of a certain denomination because my parents were of that faith. I think it incredibly presumptuous of me to assume that God has condemned millions to damnation because he placed them with parents of a different or of no faith.

I couldn't possibly have said it better than Tom. I visit this site often but generally keep my mouth shut either because I don't need advise, can find the advise that I need by searching the archives, or don't have any input on somebody elses question that someone can not answer more eloquently than me.

The whole "religion" thing is pi>>sing me off as of late. I married my wife 9 years ago. We are good people (pay our taxes, help thye neighbour, etc............). We were both raised in semi-christian families which means we both went to church but after 12:00 on Sunday Jesus and religion was pretty much forgottoen about.

About 3 years ago my wifes sister (who I have known since she was 14) became a "born again" Christian along with her new husband. Since then my wife has "discovered Jesus" as well.

This has caused a serious rift in the family. My wife takes the kids to church on Sunday. I refuse to go because I don't believe in the whole thing.

Now my brother in law has become an evangelist. He is currently in Kenya "spreading the word of god". I love my wifes sister as my own and always will. I am afraid that my brother in law is going to get his A@@ shot off in Africa and I am going to be left taking care of everybody.

My problem with Christianity and religion in general is that it has caused more death and destruction in the recorded world than the bomb * 1000. This may sound like the opinion form a simple and uneductated man but when is everyone going to realize that nobody knows what is going to happen when we die and anybody that thinks that they do is an idiot?

Back to Tom's quote at the beginning. I REFUSE to believe that my God has a select few of people waiting for him in the promise land and the people that are born of either no faith or of the wrong faith are going to be dammed to hell. Should I be wrong I will have a lot of good company to spend eternity with.

time for a beer.

sorry have trouble with quotes on this computer, the first paragraph on the preceding reply is from tom.

Allscott, Mate, look around; read the news; think (if you dare) of the most dispicable, evil thing that could be done to any living thing (including the Earth) and it's been done so many times worse, so many times over, to so many living creatures. It Makes me weep - we're already in Hell.

In response to

Tom wrote in post 67

It is my experience that the particular set of divine revelation adhered to by a given individual is pretty much an accident of birth. I am a Christian of a certain denomination because my parents were of that faith. I think it incredibly presumptuous of me to assume that God has condemned millions to damnation because he placed them with parents of a different or of no faith.

allscott wrote in post 106

Back to Tom's quote at the beginning. I REFUSE to believe that my God has a select few of people waiting for him in the promise land and the people that are born of either no faith or of the wrong faith are going to be dammed to hell. Should I be wrong I will have a lot of good company to spend eternity with.

I have to disagree with both statements. Before Christ's time on earth, the promise of salvation was to one nation of people only. The nation of Israel. God created a covenant with Israel...and salvation would come through the seed of Abraham. Many people and nations were condemned, because they were not part of this covenant and were enemies of Israel.

It was through the coming of Messiah, His death and resurrection that what was available to only one nation, would be made available and completely accessible to the entire world. John wrote in his gospel:

"Behold the lamb of God, which takes away the sin of the world"

To say that what God has given is only accessible to one people because of who you are or your affiliation is incorrect. It is not a birth right, but a decision that is made by each person. Because you were born into a Christian home does not make you a Christian. It most certainly gives you a head start on those who were not born into a Christian home, but it is a decision you still have to make.

God gave salvation to the world, however, there is only one way. The path is narrow because it is through the acceptance of what Christ did. God required a blood sacrifice for the remission of sin. His son was that sacrifice, deemed acceptable by God.

For Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me."

Centuries of "church politics" have separated the Church from its Jewish origins. Decisions made by man. What you see today is the result of centuries of decisions made by man, not God. The one thing that hasn't changed over the centuries is God's Word. It has and will remain the same. There are many things found in the church today that are not supported by God's Word. You have access to His Word, therefore you have the ability to discern what is His Truth and what is of man.

The church body is comprised of people. We make up God's church, therefore we are the ones that need to stand for His Word of Truth. If it is not supported by His Word, then you either confront the Pastor, Elders or council about the church's doctrine, or you search for a church, who's doctrines are supported by God's Word, and do not compromise.

God has given us free will to either choose Him or reject Him. He does not want to force you to accept Him, but has given you the gift of grace, free and simple, no strings attached...a simple decision that will change your life for eternity. Can you truly and therefore unconditionally love someone if it is forced? That is what God wants...your unconditional love, that is given, not forced.

My problem with Christianity and religion in general is that it has caused more death and destruction in the recorded world than the bomb * 1000.

Many things were done in the name of Christ that were just outright wrong...misguided men believing they were doing the will of God. To blame God for this and in essence deprive yourself of a relationship with Him because of what other misguided, power hungry men did is only hurting you. Talk with your wife about it. Go in with an open mind and see what happens...you might be surprised.

This may sound like the opinion form a simple and uneductated man but when is everyone going to realize that nobody knows what is going to happen when we die and anybody that thinks that they do is an idiot?
Then you can call me an idiot.

To RussB,

I commend you on your willingness to take a stand for what you believe and not waver from it.

To our annonymous friend,

It has been over 10 days since your original post. You have received a great deal of input and many opinions...have you and your boss come to a resolution?

Why would an all powerful god need to become flesh in order to sacrifice himself to himself so that his creation might escape the wrath of himself?

Stephen Luft said:
That is what God wants...your unconditional love, that is given, not forced.

If it is not forced, then why must there be a hell as punishment for not giving this "unconditional love?"

You may not agree, but the essense of this is "love me or go to hell." Some "choice." In legal circles, this is called extortion and coercion.

testsubject said:
Why would an all powerful god need to become flesh in order to sacrifice himself to himself so that his creation might escape the wrath of himself?

If it is not forced, then why must there be a hell as punishment for not giving this "unconditional love?"

You may not agree, but the essense of this is "love me or go to hell." Some "choice." In legal circles, this is called extortion and coercion.

I don't believe that Hell is meant to be punishment as much as it's what remains after God has left. I hope for eternal life instead of Death where Death is "Seperation from God"

ps if this discussion is continued on another site please include a link to the thread.

testsubject..you realy should edit your sig..you should add (For about a week or two) after the former canadian prime minister!!! I do believe that she holds the record!!

darrenj said:
testsubject..you realy should edit your sig..you should add (For about a week or two) after the former canadian prime minister!!! I do believe that she holds the record!!

Wait until Belinda Stronach become PM then we'll really have something to talk about. Kim's quote is a classic though.

allscott said:
Wait until Belinda Stronach become PM then we'll really have something to talk about. Kim's quote is a classic though.

Will that ever happen??

Kims other quote was another classic..I cannot remeber now what it said word for word..but basically called us all stupid people...

testsubject said:

Bob,

Keep in mind the underlying purpose for religion is to control the masses. Some for the better, & some for the worse. I happen to believe that there is a God, but envision him/her/it in a more universal concept than a particular religious one. To me "loving" God is about respecting his creations. Helping out someone in need, not engaging in nefarious acts, taking care of yourself and your loved ones etc... Generally leading a decent productive life that you don’t need to be ashamed of.

If in you last dyeing thought, as your life passes before you, you have few regrets about your general behavior and feel comfortable with the idea that you've done your best, then your "in". That's your eternity. So if you want to avoid eternal salvation then go beat your wife and kick your dog. I don’t think it's easy as arguing about religious concepts...

darrenj said:
Will that ever happen??

Kims other quote was another classic..I cannot remeber now what it said word for word..but basically called us all stupid people...

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Belinda as the leader of the liberal party. As generally happens in Canadian politics the conservatives will problably get in for another term or too, after which it will be back to the liberals.

I'd be proud to have a leader that had the nicest legs of the free world

darrenj said:

She was on Real Time with Bill Maher a couple of years ago when I heard her say this and I thought it would make a great quote. I did not know anything about her at that time.