Sorry... can't help it...

The one that irks me is: "The proof is in the pudding"

No, it isn't!!!! You aren't proving pudding. The proof OF the pudding is in the tasting!

I'm getting ticked off just typing this. :mad:

OG

p.s. YIKES Ron, that all made perfect sense!

A colleague went to the hospital a couple of days back. "What's up?" I asked. "Oh, not much, it's only an explanatory." Well, I guess that -in a subtle way- it probably was, but I don't think that was the primary reason for the visit.

...And my previous boss used to describe someone who was very eager as "biting at the champ" (Whatever that was supposed to mean!)

Last edited:
...And my previous boss used to describe someone who was very eager as "biting at the champ" (Whatever that was supposed to mean!)

I assume Steve knows it but some others may not, the correct phrase is "champing at the bit" (from the horsey lot). The interesting question is whether or not his boss knew it and intentionally turned it back to front, or whether he thought that his version was correct.

In Ron's example, you still need all the correct letters. Changed a couple in any of those words and it becomes unreadable. You still need to spell correctly, you just don't have to worry about order. (Except the first and last letters)

u no wat i h8? its when ppl f33l teh ne3d 2 tok li3k a internet e-thug, wannabe gangst@.

grs said:
u no wat i h8? its when ppl f33l teh ne3d 2 tok li3k a internet e-thug, wannabe gangst@.

That I abhor. I have developed issues with the way many, students or not, phrase their questions i.e I want program, I need ladder, How to make program...the list goes on and on.

I never finished High School but I have managed to obtain a HS equivalency and higher education. If I, or anyone, use words like mute for moot, or caliper for caliber, to for too (or vice versa), there for their (vice versa), a comma when a semicolon should be used, etc etc al. I do not worry because it is just a part of being human and has no bearing on your intellect or education.

There are several but one of the most informed, experiencd, and well educated individual that participates in this forum is terrible at grammar and spelling. It has not hindered his success in any way. There are others, also successful, that know their spelling etc is weak but they are still knowledgeable and successful.

With all that said, I am not sure what difference typographical, spelling, or grammatical errors have to do with discussions here, as long as the content of the question and/or statement is understood.

There are many questions asked that I do not have a clue what the person is asking. There are statements, which use good grammar and spelling but I get lost on what the content applies too...Hi Terry.

The really sad part, for me, is that there are numerous threads and posts made that go into details on a variety of subjects. These threads and posts have few, if any, grammatical or spelling errors; nonetheless, they get so technical they are difficult to understand.

I know many expect those working with plcs will have some form of 4 year degree, usually engineering, but I believe that is an assumption that should not be made. I do not know how to phrase this part. Those doing service work will not always have the education or knowledge of those that design but may still need to know how it works per se.

Let me clarify my point. This site is suppose to be about learning plcs, this does not imply that you have to be an engineer or educated at that level to do so. There are a few that appear to think it is a requirement and that if not educated to the engineering level then the person should not be working with them. Using a term many can understand, Blarney.

Since this site is about learning, what is the issue with spelling or grammatical errors? If someone asks a question that makes no sense, ask for clarification or ignore it and move on. If a student asks a question improperly then ignore it or inform them politely what they have done wrong. That is how it works with students i.e. THEY ARE LEARNING and may need to learn more than just about a plcs.

My last thought, many talk about efficiency and productivity, what is efficient or productive about flaming or insulting an individual that may not know they are doing something improper? The results are not beneficial to anyone. So what if the question is redundant (and ridiculous), just explain the issues or ignore the question.

You want the questions and people to act professional, shouldn't you act professional if making a reply?

I guess I got into a rant, no offense meant to anyone.

One of the many problems with internet forums (fora?) is that the only form of expression and identification we have is the typed word. In the real world, we form our opinions about people and their abilities based on listening to them talk (including tone, accent, fluency, articulacy), watching how they conduct themselves in social groups, seeing how they are dressed, etc. All of these things, whether fair or not, contribute to our judgemental views of one another.

Not so, here. You live or die by what you write and how you write it. It's all we have to judge one another by. if you spel bad and not rite grammarly people wil think you dont no whot your talking abowt.

I think we all have an extra responsibility to make an effort in these threads. As soon as we accept that they're, their, there, and thair are all the same, we're on a downward slope towards losing the one thing that brought us all here in the first place: communication with other people.

And I'm afraid that the accuracy of spelling, grammar and syntax in a post does influence how much credence I give to that person's opinions on other matters. It shouldn't, I know. But this isn't real life and it does. And I suspect many others probably feel the same way, even if only subconsciously.

Regards

Ken

If someone posts some ladder logic and someone else points out a blatant logical error in it, the typical response from the original poster is to thank the person who pointed out the error.

If someone posts some text and someone else points out a blatant grammatical error in it, the typical response from the original poster is to get all defensive, to accuse the person who pointed out the error of elitism, or to claim that because you were able to understand the text, the error was inconsequential.

Just human nature I guess.

Of course, the logical error in the ladder code is more serious because the machine will do exactly what the ladder logic commands, while the human reading the text will be able to interpret the meaning of the mangled syntax. Still, you can only hope that the person who is careless in expressing himself/herself in written communications is more careful when writing code to control machinery.

Good point, Steve! No matter how bad we think indirect addressing is, English is several orders of magnitude more difficult to master. Especially when it comes to anticipating the outcome!

Regards

Ken

The only problem with that Ken is we are from English speaking nations, many here are not, so the spelling and grammar are an issue only when it interferes with communication.

There is one member of this site I am convinced is very well educated EXCEPT English is not his native language and his posts make no sense to me at all. I believe that he has no formal education in English so uses online translators, as many do, which are not always capable of making the translations properly or being grammatically correct.

Your reply does address what I was saying, it is expected that everyone be on the same academic level, this is not possible. What you read is not always a good example of what really is. DO not judge a book by its cover.

Another TEST:

http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com/forum/post.asp?method=TopicQuote&TOPIC_ID=17177&FORUM_ID=27 [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q1.
If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids
already, three who were deaf, two who were blind,
one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis, would
you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before looking at the
response for this one.

Q2:
It is time to elect a new world leader, and only
your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three
candidates. Who would you vote for?

Candidate A.
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults
with astrologist. He's had two mistresses. He also
chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.
Candidate B.
He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until
noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of
whiskey every evening.
Candidate C
He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian,
doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and never
cheated on his wife.

Which of these candidates would be our choice?
Decide first... no peeking, then scroll down for the
response.
------------------------------------------------------------

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Candidate B is Winston Churchill.
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler.

And, by the way, on your answer to the abortion
question: If you said YES, you just killed
Beethoven.

Pretty interesting isn't it? Makes a person think
before judging someone.
Wait till you see the end of this note! Keep
reading..

Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

And Finally, can you imagine working for a company
that has a little more than 500 employees and has
the following statistics:
* 29 have been accused of spousal abuse
* 7 have been arrested for fraud
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks
* 117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at
least 2 businesses
* 3 have done time for assault
* 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting
* 21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
* 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the
last year...

Can you guess which organization this is?

Scroll down

Give up yet?

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress.
The same group that crank out hundreds of new laws each year
designed to keep the rest of us in line.
[/font]

Steve Bailey said:
If someone posts some ladder logic and someone else points out a blatant logical error in it, the typical response from the original poster is to thank the person who pointed out the error. If someone posts some text and someone else points out a blatant grammatical error in it, the typical response from the original poster is to get all defensive, to accuse the person who pointed out the error of elitism, or to claim that because you were able to understand the text, the error was inconsequential....
In part this thread pertains to ME…do I have an education? That would be yes, were my grammar skills my strong point? NO, actually I hated it, does that make me any worse or better then any of you…NO, can you understand what I have typed? I put forth the effort and try to make my post very legible

I try and bring humor to this site, as well as good information, the humor comes from my job…I am under a lot of pressure and stress, so I try and escape sometimes, sometimes I get a little to much caffeine in my system and I try and type to fast…sometimes I type faster then I think, but to insinuate that I don’t try ludicrous

Steve,
If someone points out the errors in the program, how is it done?….they show them the correct way, show me anywhere on this site, when someone showed them the correct verbiage, they just make snide remarks about it.

Ken_M,
That’s too bad…I did not think you were such a judgmental person

I try and give anyone the benefit of the doubt, they may some day, do the same for me

Gerry,
As far as the caliper….I thought that was what it was to: measure up to some one else, a caliper is a tool to measure.My mistake…the stupid 142 IQ that I have is really starting to show

If I was a ventriloquist would that be the correct way? "that’s the way that I talk it threw..."

The point is, I made a effort, thanks to some others, my issues were resolved and/or I made my point

so the spelling and grammar are an issue only when it interferes with communication.
My assertion is that it always interferes with communication, in both positive and negative ways. Because we have nothing else to go on, if someone expresses inaccurate information in a very well structured and persuasive manner, someone else who knows no better will probably assume it is correct. Similarly the inverse will happen with badly expressed but fundamentally sound advice.

it is expected that everyone be on the same academic level
No, no, no. I don't expect this at all. I can quite easily see the differences in linguistic ability when I read the posts. My problem is that I'm prepared to admit that this biases me when it comes to judging the content of the posts. It's almost as Marshall McLuhan said " The medium is the message". The content is irrelevant - the appearance and impact will win out.

Regards

Ken