Rockwell Ethernet Network Analysis

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
What do y'all use for analysing a network concept, or currently implemented system.
I know about wireshark etc, but was wondering if there is a tool that you can put your PLC's, IO, drives, HMI's etc into, as well as message paths (perhaps) to determine what the loading on each device could be...

On one site, which is relatively small we have been having problems with non AB drives dropping off the network intermittently.
We have recently changed the switch's from 3Com to Cisco, so am going to see how that performs.
ENBT CPU loads are minimal, so do not think it is that. Not ruling out cabling either...

If you type in the IP address of the ENBT into your web browser it will tell you how much CPU is being utilized inside of it. I had a similar problem before where I was using around 80% of my CPU. The problem was fixed by putting in a managed switch.

Hi,
What do y'all use for analysing a network concept, or currently implemented system.
I know about wireshark etc, but was wondering if there is a tool that you can put your PLC's, IO, drives, HMI's etc into, as well as message paths (perhaps) to determine what the loading on each device could be...

On one site, which is relatively small we have been having problems with non AB drives dropping off the network intermittently.
We have recently changed the switch's from 3Com to Cisco, so am going to see how that performs.
ENBT CPU loads are minimal, so do not think it is that. Not ruling out cabling either...

Out of curiosity what type of drives are you having issues with?

At one site I look after there is a network with around ~15 AB Powerflex drives that function without issue, but there is an ABB ACS850 with a FENA Ethernet adapter that seems to drop out randomly even though all the connections are fine.

Fluke Networks Make some of the best tools for this. You could rent an Etherscope as they are very expensive but Fluke just retired them for the new OneTouch AT http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterprise-network/network-testing/OneTouch-AT-Network-Assistant

I got the OneTouch AT back in early January and I like it even better than my etherscope but again you may want to rent it unless it's a tool you will use all the time as it will hit you for a little under 6K with accessories.

Does wireshark show anything interesting? retransmits, excessive broadcast/multicast traffic? even though all the automation devices are 100 mbit I tend to use switches with at least a few gigabit ports (if not all) so I know the switch is capable of handling whatever traffic a half dozen 100mbit ports can throw at it. I've never really load tested an automation ethernet network though.

You can use Ignition with the SNMP driver to pull data from devices and create alarms, graphs, etc.

We do this in the field for network diagnostics, and I also use it at home to give me an alarm when I need new printer cartridges....

You can use Ignition with the SNMP driver to pull data from devices and create alarms, graphs, etc.

We do this in the field for network diagnostics, and I also use it at home to give me an alarm when I need new printer cartridges....
Hi

I also use Ignition software. I am wondering if you could explain how you use the SNMP driver as I think it is something I could find useful

Thanks

Aidan

We pull network data from our switches and other ethernet devices and calculate rates. We also check for dropped packet counts, etc. We use Ignition with the SNMP module, and store the data to the database and chart/trend the info as well.