expanding data logging memory

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning

1400 b Micrologix PLC,

Question; the unit come standard with 128Kb of memory for data logging, is there an expansion module available to expand that capacity.

I have to log at least three days FILO and 128K is not enough

Please advise at your convenience.

As always thank you for your valuable time.

does anyone have more information on ALLEN BRADLEY MICROLOGIX 1400 1766-MM1 /A 1766MM1 2015 MEMORY MODULE

i've scowered the net and have not been able to find a data sheet that specs the capacity,

any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Rockwell Automation Publication 1766-UM001I-EN-P - June 2015

pg 148

The memory module supports the following features:
• User Program, User Data, Datalog and Recipe Back-up
• User Program Compare
• Data File Download Protection
• Memory Module Write Protection
• Removal/Insertion Under Power

yous guys are killin me.

Yes it can be assigned for data logging purposes.

Or so my AB rep tells me. total capacity after installation 476 Kilobytes can be applied to data logging.

Is it going to be enough to cover three days of data logging, I have to add up all the words it going to take to run one basket thru every tank on the large line (11), average tank time 20 minutes, three baskets an hour in, ( govt work ) so lets say six hours of production a day ,18 baskets a day, times 5, 90 baskets a week,

15 standard words per basket, two bytes to a word, 30 bytes per basket PLUS any alarms and acknowledgements, another four words (12 bytes )possible 42 bytes to a basket time 90, 360 bytes per week. ( doesn't seem right )

add date and time stamp, operator ID, any sub baskets id's, process menu select, and a conductivity measurement,

I think we can go a week,................................... or I haven't got a clue what I am talking about.

Thoughts?

Yes it can be assigned for data logging purposes.

Or so my AB rep tells me. total capacity after installation 476 Kilobytes can be applied to data logging.

Is it going to be enough to cover three days of data logging, I have to add up all the words it going to take to run one basket thru every tank on the large line (11), average tank time 20 minutes, three baskets an hour in, ( govt work ) so lets say six hours of production a day ,18 baskets a day, times 5, 90 baskets a week,

15 standard words per basket, two bytes to a word, 30 bytes per basket PLUS any alarms and acknowledgements, another four words (12 bytes )possible 42 bytes to a basket time 90, 360 bytes per week. ( doesn't seem right )

add date and time stamp, operator ID, any sub baskets id's, process menu select, and a conductivity measurement,

I think we can go a week,................................... or I haven't got a clue what I am talking about.

Thoughts?

This is good info. New to me, and I am glad you shared what you have learned. I have some of these memory modules in the field, but have not used data logging. I always just thought of them as an easy way for the customer to be able to replace a PLC and get it up and running again without me.

There's also the option of adding something like a Red Lion datastation to do your logging. Might be less expensive than buying AB hardware and writing software since logging on the Red Lion is so easy. And then you'll have the gigabyte depth of the Red Lion flash card for your logs and you can format it to look all pretty.

There are some tradeoffs with resolution this way. Red Lion wants to log no faster than once per second. But you can increase resolution by queing up the high res data in the 1400, then have the Red Lion suck in a block of high res logged data.

Thank you BOSON,

Wish I could skip the AB stuff, but its govt. they want what they want, and we have to live with it. I will keep the Red Lion info in mind on the next run.

Thanks for letting me bounce this off you guys.