SLC 5/01 upload error

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I'm trying to get an upload from an SLC 5/01 processor. The processor is in run mode with no other LEDs lit. The upload progress bar gets to the end and then I get the following error (see attached jpg):

Upload failed!
Decompiler -> Unknown error!
Decompiler -> Unknown error!

Any ideas how I can get a successful upload?

IMG_20180510_125737593 (2).jpg

I tried using our PLC5 software to try to get an upload but it reported "unknown processor type".

I followed the well-documented process to use the Upload Utility. It was a bit convoluted but it got me where I needed to be. Thank you very much for your help.

Despite getting an upload, converting it to .RSS then downloading it again last week, I've come back to the machine a few days later and can't get online with it. When I try to upload, I get the same "decompiler - unknown error". I was online with it in RSLogix 500 last week. Did I miss a step or something? It's in run mode, there's no Fault LED and the Battery LED isn't on.

Are you using the same communication ? guessing a UIC... does it look fine in RSLinx and how are you going about it?

Why are you trying to 'upload' ? if you have the program you should be just going online because you have the program on your PC there is no reason to upload

I tried to go online first but it wouldn't. That's when I tried uploading.

I figured it out though. It was loading the old .ACH file from EEPROM on startup.

Nearly four years on...

I have another PLC (1747-L30A) that is not uploadable using RS Logix 500. I'm using the upload utility and everything looks fine in RS Linx, the LEDs are flashing on the 1747-UIC and the comms diagnostics in the upload utility all indicate that the comms are working fine. When I attempt to get an upload, everything appears to be working but at the end I get the attached error.

I'm using Win XP (32-bit) in a VM.

Does anyone have any ideas?

SLC500 error.png

Years ago I make a XP SP3 patch for the UIC. I spent a bunch of time trying to get the UIC working in a VM and never had any luck. Other posters here that have much more experience than I suggested that using the UIC via VM was likely not going to work, which turned out to be my experience. Not saying impossible...

350.png

The original thread had to do with a decompiler error that was specific to shoebox SLC controllers and the 5/01 and 5/02 controllers, which are late 1980's vintage. The workaround of course was the SLC Upload Utility, which was from the end of the DOS era in the early 1990s.

The failure of the old SLC upload utility when used with the more-modern USB to DH485 converter 1747-UIC is a related issue, addressed by RA Knowledgebase Article QA54933 (Access Level: Everyone).

TL;DR = Use the 1747-KE/KF3 driver, not the simplified 1747-UIC driver in RSLinx.