You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:08 PM   #1
Old No. 7
United States

Converting Rockwell to Siemens

Working on a project where the customer requires Siemens PLC's (S7-1500) and HMI's (Comfort Panels). The project is similar to ones we've done before with Rockwell/AB PLC's and HMI's. We have both Compactlogix platform and SLC/Micrologix platform). Both used Panelview Plus HMIs.

There is about 5 different pieces of equipment each with their own PLC and HMI that are all different.

We tried the "auto conversion" that Siemens did for us on a different project (one Compactlogix PLC only) and it kinda/sorta worked, but left tons of errors to clean up and in that case it may have been faster to just start over.

On this project, there just isn't enough time to develop 5 programs (several hundred rungs, recipes, PID control, etc) and 5 HMI's (probably 50-75 screens each) from scratch.

Any recommendations? Our Compactlogix program uses lots of UDT arrays that I'm worried wouldnt' convert well or at all. Would converting a SLC work better/worse?

Any idea how well their conversions of HMI's works?
Old May 24th, 2018, 01:58 AM   #2
cardosocea
United Kingdom

I am yet to see a conversion that looks well out of the box. I found the Siemens result from PLC5 better than Rockwell's, but I'm not an expert in conversions and may have missed a setting.

Unfortunately, I think that unless it is structured text, conversions will always be iffy.

Are the 5 systems similar in any way that you can move code from one to other? Siemens allowing functions and function blocks I would say that reusing code is one way to speed up the process.
Old May 25th, 2018, 03:15 AM   #3
sigmadelta
Canada

Right now I am converting the other way (Siemens S5 to Controllogix) for a client. If you need help, let me know. I am not aware of any automatic HMI conversion utilities from Rockwell to Siemens or vice-versa. You would need the PLC done first so that the PLC addresses are defined for the HMI application.
Old May 25th, 2018, 08:25 AM   #4
widelto
Colombia

I have never use it, but i found this siemens S7 to logix5000 conversion manual, may be this can help you.
http://literature.rockwellautomation...p008_-en-p.pdf
Old May 25th, 2018, 09:39 AM   #5
the_msp
Lifetime Supporting Member
United Kingdom

I know a Siemens distributor that used to be an RA dist. They have a tool to convert. PM me if you want their details.

Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMatrixEngineering
Old May 25th, 2018, 02:51 PM   #6
spaderkung
Sweden

You will only have to develop one from scratch. The remaining 4 is conventional copy paste development. On the bright side the 1500 is much more close now to ab programming.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum