O/T Windows: Figuring Out Which Port

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
Sometimes when I fire up RSLinx, I get a port conflict.
I have to go through these 6 steps in order to figure out which COM port the USB 1747-UIC is on....

(1)Click Start Menu
(2)Right click on My Computer
(3)Select Properties
(4)Select Hardware Tab
(5)Click Device manager
(6)Expand ports to see which port the 1747-UIC has chosen

Once I know this, I can go back and configure the RS-232 DF1 Device.

Anybody know of a quicker way to get there?

cmo6.jpg

Thanks Lionel, (y)
I thought that I should just make a shortcut and put it on the desktop, but I didn't really know what the Device manager was called or the file extension. :confused:

Now I know "devmgmt.msc"
Thanks
George

Another solution. Allways use the same usb port. Set it up in device manager as comm1. Works for me. Dont have to go to device manager all the time

...and for port numbers for unconnected devices

If you want to check the assignment of all port numbers, even for devices which aren't currently connected to the PC, try the following at the command prompt or in a batch file;

cd c:\
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
cd c:\windows\system32
start devmgmt.msc

This will open the Device Manager window, then from the "view" pull-down menu select "Show hidden devices".

You will then be able to see all the COM ports that have been configured and what driver is associated with them.

I have found this very useful when re-assigning port numbers for USB/RS232 converters (and have to run old DOS programs that can only use COM port 1 to 4).

Regards

Alastair

You might be interested in this:
http://bayden.com/SlickRun/

Basically it's like the Run command bar in windows except you can create mini-macros instead of typing in the whole command line parameters.

It's very minimal and not intrusive.

Great for when the boss is walking over ... ;-), not that I've ever been told not to plctalk at work....
That's funny, I always used Win+M for "Minimize", but I see that Win+D works better because it toggles back and forth.
Thanks Nathan