Red Lion G315 mail sending issues

BCQ

Hello All,

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I have a G315 HMI that I am trying to configure to send mail on alarms, but have not been successful.

Just for some info on my setup: The HMI and an AB Micro 1100 PLC are connected to my local network via a range extender (Netgear wn2000rpt) to my primary modem/router. My PC is hardwired to the router. I have no problem connecting to the internet from any PC (even when connected to network via range extender) and no problem connecting to other devices within the network. However, I can't seem to get any alarm mail messages delivered. I have tried using both Gmail smtp settings and also a third party (SMTP2GO), but still no luck.

I was thinking maybe the HMI may have trouble accessing the internet to reach the smtp servers, but I don't know of a way to test that. Also, not sure if that would be a routing issue or a configuration issue in Crimson 3.0 (HMI software). Any ideas on how to test that or other possible issues?

Thanks

Just a follow up thought... As I mentioned above, I was thinking maybe the HMI may have trouble accessing the internet to reach the smtp servers, but I'm not sure how to test that. If I programmed a ping command to an external IP address that triggers a light if it returns successful would that work? Also, I don't know C Programming well enough to create that program. Can anyone help there?

Just a follow up thought... As I mentioned above, I was thinking maybe the HMI may have trouble accessing the internet to reach the smtp servers, but I'm not sure how to test that. If I programmed a ping command to an external IP address that triggers a light if it returns successful would that work? Also, I don't know C Programming well enough to create that program. Can anyone help there?

Are you behind a company firewall? If so, I can just about guarantee that they have closed the required port(s). If so, check with your IT guy to see if you can get the ports opened for the IP Address of your HMI.

I have to do that at our office.

Gmail smtp requires SSL or TLS - neither of which is supported by Red Lion. So your email server needs to support plain non-secure SMTP. I've never been able to get gmail to work with the Red Lion.

It looks like SMTP2GO is supposed to support non-secure SMTP (their setup says no SSL or TLS required): have you tried using any of their alternate ports?

If you think you may have firewall related issues that are preventing your access from going out (not usually the case in a firewall), try tcping.
To test whether a particular port is open from your laptop/PC, use tcping in a windows command window. For example:
tcping smtp.gmail.com 465

Hope that helps :)

Gmail smtp requires SSL or TLS - neither of which is supported by Red Lion. So your email server needs to support plain non-secure SMTP. I've never been able to get gmail to work with the Red Lion.

It looks like SMTP2GO is supposed to support non-secure SMTP (their setup says no SSL or TLS required): have you tried using any of their alternate ports?

If you think you may have firewall related issues that are preventing your access from going out (not usually the case in a firewall), try tcping.
To test whether a particular port is open from your laptop/PC, use tcping in a windows command window. For example:
tcping smtp.gmail.com 465

Hope that helps :)

You may be right that having smtp ports closed is not the norm, but in *our* case, they are closed. In fact, I have to get the port opened for a specific IP address so just because I have the port open from my desktop PC, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is open for the Redlion Display.

I only mention this because IT mindsets vary so we can't assume that our own experience is normative.

Thanks for the help on this. I've been sick and unable to mess with it until today, but was able to resolve it. You were correct that it wouldn't work directly to Gmail's SMTP. In order to get it to work through SMTP2GO, I had to ping smtpcorp.com to get the actual IP address. Just using the server name in "smtpcorp.com" wouldn't work. Once i put in the IP address, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help on this. I've been sick and unable to mess with it until today, but was able to resolve it. You were correct that it wouldn't work directly to Gmail's SMTP. In order to get it to work through SMTP2GO, I had to ping smtpcorp.com to get the actual IP address. Just using the server name in "smtpcorp.com" wouldn't work. Once i put in the IP address, everything worked perfectly.
hi BCQ i have a similar issue i can't send mail from the PTV (productivity station of red lion) im using stmp2go too, but i don't know what im doing wrong if you have a sample only of how send a mail from smpt2go will be great thanks....

hi BCQ i have a similar issue i can't send mail from the PTV (productivity station of red lion) im using stmp2go too, but i don't know what im doing wrong if you have a sample only of how send a mail from smpt2go will be great thanks....

Laas, it has been a while since I configured it so I can't remember exactly, but I believe you just need to set the authentication settings (SMTP username/password) in smtp2go. Everything else is set from the Red Lion software.

Smtp2go has some specific tutorials depending on the mail program your using. Just click on support, then two minute setup, then type in the mail app you're using.

Also, make sure the emails that your trying to send aren't getting caught up in a junk or spam filter in the email server that is receiving the email.

Hope this helps, but if your still not getting it to work, let me know and I'll do some more looking into it to see how I have everything setup (don't have access to look at it now).