GE 90-30 IC693CPU352 Modbus Mapping?

JaxGTO

We have a GE 90/30 and 2 Automation Direct Panels EA7's that we are converting to Control Logix and PanelView. The AD panel are using Modbus Ethernet/IP protocol and I cant seem to find in the GE programming software where the mapping is. Plus the tags it's reading don't seem to line up with any consistency. For example a AD panel tag is looking at a weight value and uses Modbus address 329610 and the GE PLC only has 2 references to that address of %AI0035 and it is moved to %R02400.

I tried changing the PLC to a IC693CPU372 which has a Modbus mapping tab that seems to be fixed addressing. But those only go up to 5 digits and the AD panel is using 6 digits.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The first digit of the Modbus address defines the memory type and is not included in the address. The first digit being three means input registers and corresponds to %AI memory in the 90-30. When the first digit is four it means internal registers and corresponds to %R memory in the 90-30.

Default mapping would be a Modbus address of 400000 (or 40000 if the Modbus device only supports 5-digit addressing) corresponds to GE %R0001. Modbus 300000 (or 30000) corresponds to GE %AI0001.

What I can't figure out is the panel is using 329,610 and all the documentation I can find says the highest 3xx,xxx is 301,500.

%AI29610 is a valid address for a 90-30 CPU352. The default memory allocation would have to be modified in hardware configuration but that CPU supports it as long as you are at firmware version 9 or higher.

Unfortunately the highest AI in the program is AI03895.

I have realized that in the address 329610 for Automation Direct that the first 3 if the type of variable. But like I say above AI29610 is not in the program. Do these addresses have some kind of offset? Or maybe some are fixed as discrete where others use more then one address to make integer/floating point etc?

And the EA7 Automation Direct tag export. The eas file was to large to upload even zipped.

I really appreciate another set of eyes on this thing. I must be missing something I don't know about.

Jack.

I won't be able to study your project until this evening. The laptop I have with me today has PME version 7.0 and your project is version 7.5.

That will be great. Thanks so much. 🤞🏻

PS I didn't write that ugly program. That pour plant has been living with it for many years now. Luckily they just got bought out by a larger company and now they can afford to upgrade it. I wont be doing a direct conversion but I still need to understand how it all worked before.

Somehow I was thinking Modbus RTU, but you're using Modbus TCP. Here is the Modbus TCP mapping for the IC693CMM321 Ethernet module. Notice that memory type 3 and type 4 map to the same PLC address. The difference is that type 3 is read only while type 4 is read/write.

So Modbus 329610 corresponds to %R426 which is described as "mono flour weight" in the PLC and "Flour weight in mono hopper" in the HMI.

Last edited:
Somehow I was thinking Modbus RTU, but you're using Modbus TCP. Here is the Modbus TCP mapping for the IC693CMM321 Ethernet module. Notice that memory type 3 and type 4 map to the same PLC address. The difference is that type 3 is read only while type 4 is read/write.

So Modbus 329610 corresponds to %R426 which is described as "mono flour weight" in the PLC and "Flour weight in mono hopper" in the HMI.

YES! That is the magic decoder ring I needed. Thank you sooo much. Your a life saver. :geek::geek::geek::geek:

I used that and made and Excel sheet and now I know exactly what address does what.

Again thank you so much. Jack.

Thanks. This post helped me out as well!!

I already had the mapping table, but this helped me decipher the dual 30000-40000 tables.