Gem 80 - reliable OPC connection

ShaunCroman

Just putting this out there to see what others have done
I have a number of Gem 80 PLCs and I want to get a reliable OPC data connection to them. I am considering using an rs485 to ethernet interface for the physical com side and then use Kepwares Ucon driver for the opc communications- any one done anything similar?

Ta

You need to find a protocol that the GEM 80 PLC speaks.
RS485 and Ethernet are not protocols.
If you are lucky to find a protocol that the GEM 80 PLC supports, then you may find a 3rd party OPC Server that supports said protocol.

That being said, I would not sink any time or money into keeping this totally obsolete PLC running. Any effort to keep the obsolete PLC runing will only give temporary relief, and postpone the inevitable.
You should find out how to replace it with something up-to-date.

I think that the GEM 80 speaks a protocol called ESP.

Software Toolbox used to have an OPC Server, but they have cancelled it:
https://www.softwaretoolbox.com/store/itempage.asp?itemid=1494

These guys seems to have an OPC Server:
http://www.proscada.com/GEC_GEM80.htm

About the rs485 to ethernet interface:
I dont know if the ESP protocol require a "real" serial port or not. Some protocols are finicky and wont accept that you use USB or Ethernet converters. You may need to run a test.

About Kepware Ucon:
This is a user defined OPC server typically used with devices that has ASCII protocols. I doubt that you can use this with a "real" protocol.