Red Lion Triggering

Blshelt

I am measuring level on 36 tanks and wanted to change the color of the tank on the screen as it was being filled or emptied to make it easy to spot. At steady state it is green and during a changing value turns yellow. I can get the tank to change to yellow by using the change in value trigger but not sure how to set a trigger to go back to green after 5 seconds of steady state.

Is anyone familiar with a way to set another trigger back to green or maybe a better way to do it other than triggers?

Thanks

If you're using a PLC to monitor your tanks make the tank primitive a two-state color scheme and have the PLC send a single trigger when a tank is being filled and when it's being emptied. Most of the "Trigger" work will be in the PLC. For Example:

1. PLC is not filling or emptying...trigger is off or "0". HMI shows Green in OFF state
2. PLC is filling or emptying...trigger is on or "1" HMI shows Yellow in ON state.

Last edited:
There isn't a PLC in the system. Using remote IO bricks for the signal then reading the Modbus register then displaying the level on a PTV. But can't figure out how to key off of a changing value in Red lion. Initially thought this would be a quick change to the program to just change some colors.

Last edited:
It will be easiest if you can share your cd3 file (zip it and attach to a reply). If you can't share it, give us more detail, perhaps a screenshot of your settings.

I use the flashing color mode on tank fill indicators when they are at alarm levels, so yours should be similar. On the figure fill format you can choose several options, and then drill into the expression that defines how it works. If you are coloring based on rate of fill, the expression that calculates the rate of fill should evaluate false when not filling and the color revert back to the first option if I am understanding what you have done...

If you're using the "Change in Value", it may stay yellow due to the subtle fluctuations of the Modbus level registers..Tank level sensors can be fast acting.

Do you have the ability to map two tags...one to a "filling" Modbus Register and another to an "emptying" register?

Here is the program showing a tank. The color change is happening in the square with the tank info then you can click on the square for a more detailed view.

In read-only mode I can't read what code you have in Graduated Button 1, Color 1 on the Face Format field on the Figure tab. But If you can map one tag to the register that "Fills", "Opens a Fill Valve", "Add To Tank", whatever, and another tag to a register that empties the tank, you can use an "Or" statement in the code for that Color 1 so that it changes color if is is filling OR emptying.

I don't have a register for filling and emptying. There is only a single 4-20 signal scaled to give me the height level. Maybe I need a timer to compare the current level to the level 5 seconds ago then change to yellow until the two values match....

I don't have a register for filling and emptying. There is only a single 4-20 signal scaled to give me the height level. Maybe I need a timer to compare the current level to the level 5 seconds ago then change to yellow until the two values match....

Scratch that. I don't have a way to store a value from history.

You're probably gonna have to write a program that does a compare of the 4-20 mA signal "OnTick" and if the value is rising or falling over a time interval, set an internal tag that changes the color for you. I've not used the "OnTick" but I think I understand it as a kind of timer in the HMI.

Or...I just looked into it closer...

Use both the available triggers on your "Tank_1.Level tag". One to "Rise in Value", the other to "Fall in Value", and adjust your codes in each to include the Alarm Conditions already there.

Last edited:
This is what I ended up doing.

Delay++;

If(Delay >= 5)
{
Delay = 0;
If((PValue > (Value+2))|| (PValue < (Value-2)))
{
TankColor = 1; //Yellow
}
Else
{
TankColor = 0; //Blue
}
PValue = Value;
}