Favor Request: Studio 5000 v30 / 5580

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi guys,

I have a question I've been unable to answer with the available documentation and what I've got installed on my PC and readily at hand, so I hope somebody can help me out if they have Studio 5000 v30 installed on their computer.

Yes, I can do this myself but I'm pressed for time and (more importantly) for hard drive space on the machine I'm nursing along. I know how this works with a 1756-L71 and Studio 5000 v29, but not with the 1756-L80 family controllers.

Create a project with a 1756-L81E controller, and a Kinetix 5500 servo controller in the I/O tree, and an Axis Group with one Axis associated with that Kinetix 5500.

Open the Axis, select the Planner category, and click the Parameters button to show the parameters associated with the Planner.

Enter a value of 16 into the Execution Targets field, then click the project Verify All icon.

Does it give you an error message that the number of Execution Targets is limited to 8 ?

Output Cams.jpg

It does indeed - when I click Apply, in fact, as well as when I try to verify the project.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 11.22.42 am.jpg

FYI: I get the same error whether I try to add the Kinetix to the L81E's built-in port, or to an separate ethernet module.

Thanks ! That answers the question definitively.

My system will definitely need two CPUs, but the Logix architecture makes that pretty straightforward to do.

No problem! I probably only have to do you another 107 favours until we're even ;)

Seems odd to me that the L80 series would have less capability than the L70 series. Especially in the area of motion control, after they went to all the trouble of putting an ethernet port onboard the L80 series, specifically for motion control. But then, most of this is still way over my head, so I could be completely misunderstanding the nuances of it all.

All Logix-family controllers (including the 1756-L71 I am using now) have the same limit of eight execution targets for output cams; it's the same on 5560, 5570, and 5580 ControlLogix, as well as on the 5370 and 5380 family CompactLogix.

My system needs sixteen output cam targets, so I'm going to need two CPUs, and with sixteen scheduled output modules that means two chassis as well.

I plan to test the newest 5380 CompactLogix with the new 5069 I/O platform; there's a fast DC output module in that form factor as well.

And if the boss wants to get fancy, we'll think about putting an SQL server on the new Win10IOT/CompactLogix hybrid !

No problem! I probably only have to do you another 107 favours until we're even ;)

Seems odd to me that the L80 series would have less capability than the L70 series. Especially in the area of motion control, after they went to all the trouble of putting an ethernet port onboard the L80 series, specifically for motion control. But then, most of this is still way over my head, so I could be completely misunderstanding the nuances of it all.

It's probably the firmware...Still 'raw' at six months old...Will probably be taken care of by V.31...:D

All Logix-family controllers (including the 1756-L71 I am using now) have the same limit of eight execution targets for output cams; it's the same on 5560, 5570, and 5580 ControlLogix, as well as on the 5370 and 5380 family CompactLogix.

My system needs sixteen output cam targets, so I'm going to need two CPUs, and with sixteen scheduled output modules that means two chassis as well.

I plan to test the newest 5380 CompactLogix with the new 5069 I/O platform; there's a fast DC output module in that form factor as well.

And if the boss wants to get fancy, we'll think about putting an SQL server on the new Win10IOT/CompactLogix hybrid !

Ah, righto - I read your comments as "I know this works on an L71", as in, "I know I can do 16 targets with an L71", but you actually wrote "I know how this works with an L71", probably meaning "I know the state of play with an L71, i.e. limited to 8 targets, but I am not sure if the same applies on an L80."

Makes much more sense now. Sounds like a fun project! I'd be very interested to hear if you get more into the W10-IOT enabled Compact Logix!