RSlinx - communication between CompactLogix and other PLC (Not AB)

italo2008

Hi all

I'm trying to establish communication between a L43 CPU and a PLC of another brand (B&R).

At the moment I'm just trying to see "something" on RsLinx.

The situation is : The CPUs are on the same subnet, because with my laptop I can ping both the PLCs.

Configuring an Ethernet driver with RsLinx , pointing at the B&R CPU IP, i see the question mark with the red X.

Configuring EThernet IP Driver, I see only the AB modules

I'm using the same configuration of a "working" project, the only difference is that I have a L43 (with 1768 ENBT module) CPU and not a L18 CPU (integrated Eth)

Any suggestions?

thank you

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much you'll accomplish with RSLinx, but you can use the ethernet (not ethernet/IP) driver and manually add both addresses. Then you'll "see" both, but unless you've got an EDS for the non-AB device it will probably say "unknown device."

The project is made with sockets. There is one string parameter (not in the AB side) through which I have to specify the name of the ethernet module declared in logix5000. In the original version of the software it uses a L18 with integrated ethernet, here I have to use a ENBT because L43 doesn't have eth. So I believe that i need to tell the other PLC (through the string) that there is the ENBT module between the 2 CPUs, but I don't know how to write the string...

B&R doesn't natively speak Ethernet/IP, but they have an AsEthIP library that can handle implicit and explicit messaging through the regular ethernet port and a tool that will spit out an L5K file you can import into AB land to configure the Generic EIP connection.

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with RSLinx, maybe you can see if EIP is working on the B&R side with it? I don't really know, I assumed it was an AB only tool and wouldn't have thought it would really do anything with other brand PLCs.

CapinWinky

thank you for your answer.

I understand that I can't use Linx

B&R doesn't natively speak Ethernet/IP, but they have an AsEthIP library that can handle implicit and explicit messaging through the regular ethernet port and a tool that will spit out an L5K file you can import into AB land to configure the Generic EIP connection.

In fact the project is made with these libraries. Can you tell me wich tool are you talking about? I believe that the problem is the B&R configuration data object, that must be different because I have different architecture on AB side (not L18 but L43 + ENBT)

It's just an Exe file (BR.AS.GenerateL5K.exe) that you input the configuration .dat file and it outputs an L5K file. You can find it in ..\YourB&RInstallDirectory\AS*anyversion*\Bin-en\

Hi Capinwinky...

I tried the tool... but I don't understand some things..

It creates a L5K file which is a project with a L32 CPU. But where does this CPU come from? It is not a paramter of B&R libraries, and it is diferent from the CPU I have to use (and obviously also the Ethernet module is different)... I can modify the Logix project but what does B&R CPU look for during communication?

Yeah, it just creates an example project and you can merge in only the generic EIP portion of that into your actual AB project.

The B&R side is only looking for EIP TCP packets, it doesn't care what is sending them.

Hi Capinwinky

After some attempts, now it seems that the B&R side is running. I mean that EipInit and EipCycle are running without errors.

This is the configuration file :

Code:
"#OWNINTERFACE=IF2"                    ;B&R ethernet port name IFxx
"#OWNIP=10.1.20.11"                    ;B&R CPU IP Address
"#STATION=TEST"		               ;Allen-Bradley CPU Partner Name
"#STATIONIP=10.1.20.13"                ;Allen-Bradley CPU IP Address
"#CONNAME=ETH_Labeler"                 ;Ethernet Module Name in Allen-Bradley CPU Partner
"#CONDIR=BOTH"                         ;Connection Direction (here Read-Write)
"#CONRPI=100"                          ;Time between two connection read (ms) 
"#INPUTASSEMBLY=Assem1"                ;From B&R to Allen-Bradley
"var1, INT"  		               ;Lenght Send Data
"#OUTPUTASSEMBLY=Assem2"               ;From Allen-Bradley to B&R
"var2, INT"  			       ;Lenght Receive Data

I tried to export the config file to l5k and do the necesary modifications (CPU and Ethernet module)

At the moment the ethernet module under the I/O Configuration in logix 5000 has the yellow triangle and the variables are not read/written.

Can it be something abouts the I/O assembly parameters in the generic eth module configuration? I leaved them as B&R tool suggest:

UuCW0b.png

Also the variables are the ones that were given me by the B&R tool:

nJIGXB.png

Now I would expect that Var1 and Var2 (declared in B&R Side) can be read/written from Logix, but this doesn't happen....

Any suggestion?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
The Warning Sign triangle denotes that the Logix Controller cannot allocate your implemented 'ETH-Labeler' I/O connection, hence no data transfer could take place.

I understand that the Generic Ethernet Module configuration was provided by B&R, however, there is something fundamentally wrong with either the Comms Format (SINT as configured) and/or the Input/Output/Configuration Assemblies Instances configured addressing and/or sizes.

I have previously posted a B&R originating EtherNet/IP implementation link; have you studied it? It calls for Assemblies Instances 124, 112 and 100 with a size of 480, 240 and 0; I'd try these settings for configuring the RSL5K Generic Ethernet Module.

Slot number error...... 🔨

Thank you guys....

Where precisely was the slot number error? I'm seeing something very similar.

I started with a .l5K export from the B&R programmer. It was set up generic for a 1769 controller so in the .L5K I changed the processor type and replaced B&R's lines...

MODULE Controller (Parent := Controller,
CatalogNumber := 1769-L32E,
Vendor := 1,
ProductType := 14,
ProductCode := 77,
Major := 15,
Minor := 3,
PortLabel := RxBACKPLANE,
ChassisSize := 4,
Slot := 0,
Mode := 2#0000_0000_0000_0000,
CompatibleModule := 0,
KeyMask := 2#0000_0000_0001_1111)
END_MODULE

MODULE LocalENB (Parent := Controller,
CatalogNumber := 1769-L32E Ethernet Port,
ProductType := 12,
ProductCode := 158,
Major := 15,
Minor := 3,
PortLabel := RxBACKPLANE,
ChassisSize := 4,
Slot := 1,
KeyMask := 2#0000_0000_0000_0000)
END_MODULE

With lines from an export of my controller...

MODULE Local (Parent := "Local",
ParentModPortId := 1,
CatalogNumber := "1756-L63",
ProductType := 14,
ProductCode := 56,
Major := 19,
Minor := 11,
PortLabel := "RxBACKPLANE",
ChassisSize := 7,
Slot := 0,
Mode := 2#0000_0000_0000_0001,
END_MODULE

MODULE ENET (Parent := "Local",
ParentModPortId := 1,
CatalogNumber := "1756-ENBT/A",
ProductType := 12,
ProductCode := 58,
Major := 3,
Minor := 1,
PortLabel := "RxBACKPLANE",
Slot := 1,
NodeAddress := "192.168.2.90",
CompatibleModule := 1,
END_MODULE

I import the L5K, download to my Controllogix L63 v19, go into run, I get a yellow triangle on the generic ethernet module, which toggles between "connecting" and "fault". The module fault is "(Code 16#0204) connection request error: connection request timed out."