Allen bradley 500

Mr_lee

I'm new to programming were putting a old AB 503 plc we got on a press it has boxes running on belts. Would like to put a photo eye to count the boxes and some how turn that into boxes per minute on a panel view. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Anybody who's interested in helping would probably like to know the PV model, comm. channel, etc. Stuff like that.

Two basic methods.
1. Count the number of boxes over a one minute time period. Or count the number of boxes over a six second time period and multiply that by ten. Or some other fraction of a minute,
2. Measure the time between boxes. Convert that time to a fraction of a minute. That gives you minutes per box. One divided by that gives you boxes per minute.

Two basic methods.
1. Count the number of boxes over a one minute time period. Or count the number of boxes over a six second time period and multiply that by ten. Or some other fraction of a minute,
2. Measure the time between boxes. Convert that time to a fraction of a minute. That gives you minutes per box. One divided by that gives you boxes per minute.
That makes sense but I'm learning could you maybe tell me what instructions I would use to do this.

I'm not very familiar with Allen bradley myself, but generically you would:

- use a flank detector to detect a rising edge on your photocell.
- when the flank is detected, you would increment a counter.

- Set a self rearming timer of 1 minute (or variants described above), when the one minute is up, copy the counter to a variable, reset the counter, reset the timer.

- if you are not using 1 minute intervals, do the math on the variable to figure out parts per minute.

I've been following this thread, and I'm a bit curious. Is this a job you have been tasked with, or was it assigned to you as a learning experience? There are quite a few ways to go about this, and all of them can work equally well, but when you are asking questions about which instruction to use, it seems you are completely new.

What is your time frame? There is a nice bit to this, perhaps you should set up a test bench and work through some tutorials if it is an option. You really don't want to try and "learn" to do this on the fly on a live production system.

We know the task at hand, but give us a bit of background and help us help you.

So two questions for you:

1. How did you come about getting tasked with this project?
2. Has the IO (aka sensor) even been wired up yet?

Rate Counter for 5/03

I am attaching a file (zipped RSLogix 500 project) that should help. It was written for Micrologix, but I converted it to a 5/03. I am not sure if I wrote this or found it on the forum. It has been around many years.

I've been following this thread, and I'm a bit curious. Is this a job you have been tasked with, or was it assigned to you as a learning experience? There are quite a few ways to go about this, and all of them can work equally well, but when you are asking questions about which instruction to use, it seems you are completely new.

What is your time frame? There is a nice bit to this, perhaps you should set up a test bench and work through some tutorials if it is an option. You really don't want to try and "learn" to do this on the fly on a live production system.

We know the task at hand, but give us a bit of background and help us help you.

So two questions for you:

1. How did you come about getting tasked with this project?
2. Has the IO (aka sensor) even been wired up yet?

Our electrician retired so I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can troubleshoot. we have a contractor coming in teaching me allot we want to use what we have on hand to do this I have all the stuff here in the shop so I can practice on I was going to help with a solution to this while he's gone you guys have been great help thanks.

I am attaching a file (zipped RSLogix 500 project) that should help. It was written for Micrologix, but I converted it to a 5/03. I am not sure if I wrote this or found it on the forum. It has been around many years.

Wow thanks I'm going to try try this out on my test bed right now.