Graphite® 15" Modular HMI programs in background seem to hang

secs

Hi all.

Using a Red Lion Graphite® 15" Modular HMI and crimson 3 I have a few programs run in the background.

The last one I added gets called when a value from a remote plc changes. After I added this one randomly the system seems to hang. The display still updates EXCEPT for values that are calculated by some of the background programs.

Some are called by triggers, some are by page ticks etc.

The hang can take days to happen so I am fairly certain the code is correct. My thoughts are that one or 2 programs are being called at the same time but not really sure.

So I was toying with calling one program that calls the rest in sequence etc but am open to others inputs on their experiences.

Regards, Peter

Couple questions, what are the execution tasks and external data settings for these programs?

Right off-hand, unless there's something that needs to be done immediately, I utilize the background threads to do the background work, and stagger the assigned threads to spread out the workload and avoid collisions.

Thanks Eppy.

Can you explain your question

"what are the execution tasks and external data settings for these programs?"

But I am very interested in your comment about

"I utilize the background threads to do the background work, and stagger the assigned threads to spread out the workload and avoid collisions."

Most of the stuff can be done in the background and not have to be done instantly. A couple of the programs simply are used to calculate averages etc over 20 readings and as such, could be staggered. How do you achieve this as I think that will solve my issues

Peter

OK did a search on Goole. Found it on the properties tab

Last edited:
Yeah so there are 4 execution tasks, the one always running (GUI task) and 3 background ones. You can execute things asynchronously in the background using those 3. The external data setting governs how the Graphite handles obtaining external data. Crimson is very good in the sense that you can hit F1 when you have something selected and it'll bring up the help tooltip. Just do that for execution task and external data in the properties tab and it'll explain things.