Studio 5000 Firmware issue

cire3621

So I just got Rockwell Software Studio 5000, and I was needing to work on a CompactLogix L35E controller with firmware revision 19.01, but it says that controller is no longer supported and for me to add support for firmware revision 19.01, not really sure what to do here...any help would be appreciated.

Studio 5000 only supports v21 controllers.

Prior to v21 the software you required was RSLogix 5000. On your Studio 5000 disc, you also have the previous versions of RSLogix 5000.

So pop in your installation disc and you should have an option to install the previous versions. You need to install the version that MATCHES the major revision of your controller. So if your controller is version 19.1244 (I made that rev up) then you must install RSLogix 5000 version 19.

You can have both RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 installed. When you open a v21 project the software will automatically switch to Studio 5000. When you open a v19 project, the software will automatically switch to RSLogix 5000 v19.

OG

Im not seeing an option to install RSLogix 5000 on my Studio 5000 CD...May need to login to the website and see if it gives me the option?

Im not seeing an option to install RSLogix 5000 on my Studio 5000 CD...May need to login to the website and see if it gives me the option?

It is not included on the DVD any more, you will need to log onto the site and download it (its realtively big, more than 1 GB if I´m not mistaken). Alternatively contact your rockwell distributer and they may be able to get a DVD for you.

Thanks...Yea I just figured out if I downloaded Studio 5000 version 20.01.01 it would cover all firmware from 13-19 so I will be able to work on the L35E controller now, and still keep my Studio 5000 version 21. Thanks again.

just a tip:

if you've never tried installing multiple copies/versions of RSLogix5000 (and/or its new name: Studio 5000) then it would be a good idea to read up on VMWare, etc. and think about setting up a separate "virtual machine" for each version installation ...

just a warning:

when you install one version it often (usually?) messes up any previously installed versions ...

you'll also want to pay close attention to various versions of RSLinx - and their compatibility with various versions of RSLogix ...

good luck with your project ...

Last edited:
Well I spoke with Rockwell TechConnect support on the phone and he told me that it would install separately from version 21 and would not cause any conflicts. "Because I had the same concern you do". And I have VMware on my laptop. I use it to run the older version of telepace for SCADAPacks because only Telepace Studio runs in Windows 7 but regular telepace only runs in windows xp 32 bit. I have RSlogix 500 and Studio 5000 both installed in Win 7 and it did not cause a conflict...but Ill hope for the best I guess. Thanks for the input.

Thanks...Yea I just figured out if I downloaded Studio 5000 version 20.01.01 it would cover all firmware from 13-19 so I will be able to work on the L35E controller now, and still keep my Studio 5000 version 21. Thanks again.

Hopefully you understand that installing Logix5000 V20 will not give you support for any version controller other than V20. You will need to download V19 and install it to get V19 firmware support.

You can install multiple versions of Logix500/Studio5000 at the same time.

Techconnect engineer told me that version 20.01.01 would be better then just downloading version 19.01 because it covered all firmware versions from 13-19 or he said if I only needed it for firmware 19 I could just download it because it was smaller file size...He said it would work with the L35E controller with firmware 19.01...The download just finished so I guess Ill see what happens.

The engineer was right...It gave me the option to install every firmware version from 13-20 or just the version 20 option...so now I will have every firmware version... :)

Last edited:
Great. I just wanted to make sure that you knew you had to install support for each version (they are not backward compatible).

Can I push a Studio 5000 V29 to a Compact Logix L35E?

Or the highest version a L35E can take is V21 as of now.

Or the highest version a L35E can take is V21 as of now.

It'd be helpful to start a new thread instead of appending to a three year old one...:D

The highest firmware version a L35E controller will accept is V.20, hence the highest applicable software revision is RSLogix 5000 Rev.20; I'd recommend Rev.20.04 in order to mitigate the eventual Firmware/Software Minor Revision issues.