ESA Field evaluations

Skidood

For those of you in Ontario, this query is similar to the forum member who asked about CSA.

I will be calling on ESA to come and inspect the machine I am retrofitting, it's an old clunky thing in a basement laboratory. Not in a factory, nor in a traditional automation environment and it won't be used by the general public. (not that that matters).
I am putting a new control system on it. I haven't had an ESA guy come to do this in about 6 years so I'm wondering what, if anything, has changed.
Would really like to know before I start putting the system together. I am only interested in what ESA will want to see, not CSA.

The system is basically a control box with a 110 V feed, a power disconnect switch, containing a 110 V powered 24 V DC power supply and a PLC which is powered by 110 V.

The PLC has relay outputs which send 110 V out to energize some solenoid valves.
All inputs and the HMI are 24 VDC. The HMI will be in a wall-mounted box.

My questions are:

1. Do I fuse both the hot and neutral going to the power switch. I ask this despite what
I read in the CSA thread, because that's what the ESA guy wanted me to do 8 years
ago. And what about the neutrals going to the PLC and the DC power supply?

2. Do I ground the neutral. If so, is this done before or after the power disconnect
switch.

3. Based on what I saw in the CSA thread: "labeling fuse holder and connection terminal with wire gauge
and temperature (New) "
I am thinking, JFC, when does it stop???? How are you supposed to put
all these labels on fuseholders and terminal blocks????? I hope like heck that ESA wouldn't care about
that.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

ESA is basically looking that you are following good practice. Ensure that every component is CSA or UL (cUL) approved. Ensure that the (CSA / UL) wire size and ratings are good for the application.
Grounding is important. This should be done to the codebook.
Electrical drawings are good to show. This will indicate that thought has been put into the design of the system.
ESA just about always will find something to change. Most times they are working with you to get a safe machine.
Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

I work with ESAFE quite often. They are typically very helpful.

Answers to your questions...
1. Fuse where code requires it. Never fuse a neutral. Sounds like you may want to find a code book and review sections 12 & 14.

2. Only ground the neutral if you are creating a neutral. So this would be if you have a control transformer and creating your own 120VAC source within the panel. At that point the neutral with be grounded. Never ground it anywhere else.
Also note that on 24VDC power supplies 5A or larger, they require the 0VDC to be grounded.

3. Labeling is important, however the markings you refer to, (wire gauge and temperature rating) are markings a manufacturer of components is required to put on the components they sell you.

Thank you so much.

I work with ESAFE quite often. They are typically very helpful.

Answers to your questions...
1. Fuse where code requires it. Never fuse a neutral. Sounds like you may want to find a code book and review sections 12 & 14.

2. Only ground the neutral if you are creating a neutral. So this would be if you have a control transformer and creating your own 120VAC source within the panel. At that point the neutral with be grounded. Never ground it anywhere else.
Also note that on 24VDC power supplies 5A or larger, they require the 0VDC to be grounded.

3. Labeling is important, however the markings you refer to, (wire gauge and temperature rating) are markings a manufacturer of components is required to put on the components they sell you.

Last time I had a special inspection on a retrofitted panel, the inspector really wanted us to ground the 0VDC side of the 24V supply. Basically his attitude was ground the 0V, if it causes issues, removed the ground.

The other thing he was really looking for was labels. Panel labels, a layout/description of fuses and breakers.