NET-ENI On SLC Wont Accept Messages

Aabeck

I just encountered something strange on a system using NET-ENI's.

The main PLC, that does all the messaging, is a SLC5/05. It messages to 2 SLC5/03's and a ML1400. The message read and writes to one of the NET-ENI's fail every time - but I can see it in RSLinx and go online with it, monitor the 5/03 and do online edits OK. So the NET-ENI seems to be working correctly.

For a test I swapped the 2 NET-ENI's between the 5/03's and changed the MSG addresses to match. Now the message fails followed the NET-ENI. Both of the NET-ENI's are 161-NET-ENI Ser D Rev B FRN 3.22 powered off external 24V power supplies - that tested good. Both connect to the network at 100MB. Both 5/03's are set to 19200 baud with the other settings (stop, parity, CRC, etc,) normal DF-1.

Has anyone had any problem like this before, and hopefully resolved it?

BachPhi,

I brought the NET-ENI home to try and do a firmware update, and it won't accept messages from a 5/05 on my test bench, and the firmware utility that came with the ENIW program says there is "no update available for this device"

When I get the time later I am going to do a factory restore and reprogram it to see if that works.

Last edited:
Tarik,

That isn't the problem.

This is off a waste treatment facility that has been working for almost 15 years now, the Multi-Hop is set up for the correct IP addresses of the 2 NET-ENI's and the ML1400 on the 5/05. Plus on the bench system I have it on now is properly setup, with the 5/05's IP changed to talk with the ENI.

Plus, on the bench I can go online and do online edits while the messages fail, so the ENI is working and communicating. With the ENIW utility I uploaded the settings and confirmed they are good in the ENI - I especially checked for any masking addresses, but it is set to 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 like it should be.

Were you able to capture the error codes from the MSG instructions ?

When you execute an MSG instruction on the test bench SLC-5/05, does the serial LED on the Net-ENI flash ?

I'm just trying to get an idea of whether the message fails on the serial side or the Ethernet side or somewhere in between.

In general I'm of the opinion that "firmware cannot fail", but the world is big and strange.

Ken,

I just got back and am booting up the laptop with ENIW on it.

I didn't take a screenshot, but when I was online and clicked on the Setup Screen it showed something about Broken Connection (or similar)

I still find it weird that while the messages fail RSLogix can go online with it without losing the connection.

As soon as I find something good out, or get worse, I will let you know.

I went through every setting in ENIW and not one thing was wrong. I tested it again, and still no messaging - but online was OK.

I did an Out-Of-Box reset after saving the data file, then I manually entered the same data, without loading the saved file, and wrote to the -ENI.

Put it back on the 5/03, started the messaging in the 5/05 and immediate success. Hasn't failed once on any read or write for a few minutes now.

Possible it just wanted a long weekend for Christmas? [and to make sure I didn't get one???]