Flex and Point I/O Slot Numbering

Tim Ganz

How are the modules and slots numbered in flex and point I/O?

Is the adaptor where the ethernet or coax cable plugs in slot 0 or slot 1?

What is the max amout of modules per adaptor for these systems?

It looks like point maybe do a lot more modules than flex just me looking at what we have installed around the building.

For the FLEX hardware family, the communications adapter does not have a slot number; the first module next to it will be Slot 0 and so on; the maximum allowed number of modules connected to one adapter is 8 (Slots 0 - 7); if any extender cable is used the slot number will follow the cable path- two horizontal rows containing four modules each and connected via extender cable will be (left to right)"addressed" as 0-1-2-3 (Top) and 7-6-5-4 (Bottom).
For Point I/O hardware, the communications adapter will carry the Slot 0 "address"; I believe you will be able to have up to 63 modules connected to one Point I/O CNet, DNet, Profibus or EtherNet/IP adapter (Slots 1-64)

Last edited:
For the FLEX hardware family, the communications adapter does not have a slot number; the first module next to it will be Slot 0 and so on; the maximum allowed number of modules connected to one adapter is 8 (Slots 0 - 7); if any extender cable is used the slot number will follow the cable path- two horizontal rows containing four modules each and connected via extender cable will be (left to right)"addressed" as 0-1-2-3 (Top) and 7-6-5-4 (Bottom).
For Point I/O hardware, the communications adapter will carry the Slot 0 "address"; I believe you will be able to have up to 63 modules connected to one Point I/O CNet, DNet, Profibus or EtherNet/IP adapter (Slots 1-64)

Thank you very much. Now I understand.