FactoryTalk View communications issues

stallone

Hello all,
I am trying to establish comms with between my laptop and my Panelview plus 700.

I am using Factory Talk view studio 5.10.00
i have rslinx classic gateway 2.55.00.16

I can browse to my network using Rslinx classic gateway and i can see everything attached to the network, plc, hmi's everything.
I have the correct IP address setup as i can ping everything no problem.

My problem is when i am inside factorytalk studio and i click on the communications tab and try browse, i see nothing, i try expand the ethernet branch but nothing is visble.

I did notice that the browse window inside factorytalk view shows rslinx enterprise. not sure if this is a problem or not.

2 days ago i went online with me transfer utility and uploaded all the hmi programs, but today i cannot see anything in transfer utility or factorytalk view.

I am using vm ware, i am running windows 7 on my normal machine and windows xp on my VM. I have set it up with the main windows 7 having an ip address in the range of my plc and in the vm ware image i have no ip address,

but like i say i can see everything if i browse in rslinx.

please help, not sure what i am missing.

p.s. sorry for the long babbling post

I don't believe RSLinx Enterprise automatically adds the connected devices like (some) RSLinx Classic drivers do. You will have to right click on the Ethernet icon and add them manually.

2 days ago I went online with the ME transfer utility and uploaded all the HMI programs, but today I cannot see anything in transfer utility or FactoryTalk View.

The FactoryTalk View ME Transfer Utility uses RSLinx Enterprise. The fact that you were able to use it two days ago proves that RSLinx Enterprise is installed and functions.

In my opinion that means that you need to focus on what the difference in your computer and network configuration is now, as compared to two days ago.

RSLinx Enterprise does use a broadcast packet to "discover" devices, and that's easy to accidentally block with a Windows firewall.

And you do need to have your VM on the same network as your automation devices.

You can't "have no IP address" in the virtual machine's network setup. It can share the Host's IP, or use NAT, or be directly connected. But if it literally has no IP address then it's not going to do anything on the IP network.

Yes i thought something must have changed on ,y pc for it to just stop working, but i just cannot figure out what is different if anything.

i uninstalled enterprise and factorytalk view me, and reinstalled but it seems to have caused me more issues.

I re-installed FactoryTalk View me and it said i need factorytalk services 2.10, i looked in my programs and i had 2.30 installed, so i uninstalled and then installed 2.10 and also rslinx enterprise again.

now when i open my Factorytalk view me program it all opens fine and then i see in the bottom it says
'Failed to connect to browse service for OPC server'

not sure what that is now.
and if i try create the runtime file, it says unable to save rslinx enterprise data server information. do you want to continue anyway

thanks all,
i re installed enterprise 5.20 and it works now.
I still however cannot browse to my configuration in the me transfer utility, just wont see anything on the ethernet network.