Averaging a analog signal (DL-450)

protec

Hello Gurus,

I have an analog, D.P. sensor; The reading bounces between .4 & .56 Inches of water coming into V3000 (0-4095).

I need to use this signal in a PID loop so an average of the input over a 10 second time would be better to keep the PID from modulating it’s output too much.

I’m not sure how to take several readings and then average them in my Automation Direct PL-450 PLC.

Any comments, help etc. would be welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks, Mark

[email protected]

Instead of averaging I would used a first order digital filter.The form I usually use is:

Y0= (Y-1*K) +[x0*(1-K)]

Y0 New Output
Y-1 Last Output
x0 New Input
K Filter Constant

K must be between 0 and 1. Larger K provides more filtering.

Hope this helps.
Keith

This is the formula Kieth provided in DL-205 format. Note that when you filter you loose some response time and a minor amount of accuracy.